• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FMLA part 2

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All companies with at least 50 employees are required by federal law to offer FMLA. This information must be posted in a location that you can see it. As long as you work a certain number of hours per year, you can take leave for any of the following:

1. A serious illness
2. A family member's serious illness (in your household or someone you are responsible for).
3. Birth of a child
4. To care for a family member who is in the service and is injured as a result of that service.

This isn't an all inclusive list, it's from my muddled memory so be sure that you check out all of the various requirements. Document, document, document!

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm
We already covered all that, ad-nauseum, in the ORIGINAL FMLA thread you'll see on this page.

The poster started a 2nd thread JUST to get the NAMES of the company that DO, without a DOUBT, have past history of giving pilots FMLA leave upon request, as there ARE, even though it's illegal, a few airlines (including his), that do NOT.

I suspect he's doing it to dump the legislation and the list of airlines that do in the airline's lap and, hopefully, following it up with a DoL filing for breech of FMLA requirements.

So, does your airline give it and what airline do you work for?

Bump....

Still looking for any more that would have it:

American?
Continental?
Southwest?
Fed Ex?
regionals too.....

Thanks
Mookie

Every company in US has to have it. It is a federal law. One of a very few things Bill Clinton done right.

Trans States Airlines did. I took 6 weeks off (my choice) after each of our 2 pregnancies, no questions asked.

Good luck with your quest!

Yo Mookie, you know I took 5 weeks off when my rug rat was born while I was at Skywest. FMLA was the easiest vacation I've ever taken. Requested the paperwork and those nice Utah girls did all the rest. The old Milwaukee chief pilot was the king of taking FMLA. Call me if you want to talk to him personally.

hoser

ps, i miss golfing with u and Miss Mirna

Hoser,

Miss ya too bro...and thanks for the information. I'll give you a shout soon.

Mook...

Every company in US has to have it. It is a federal law. One of a very few things Bill Clinton done right.

HR Diva here...

Not every company has to have it. If you have less than 50 employees it does not apply. There are many other rules.

And, when Congress wrote the law, they didn't figure employers like Alaska would take the 1,250 hours worked rule literally to claim that airline pilots who could only FLY 1,000 hours per year would not be eligible. The intent of the law was to cover those who regularly worked at least 1/2 time. Surely an airline pilot flying 1,000 hours per year is working full time and Congress intended that person to be covered. Alaska is claiming they are not. They are one of the only airlines that does not offer FMLA to pilots.

And FMLA, while signed by Bill Clinton, was actually an initiative of George Herbert Walker Bush. Either way, it's a good thing.

Last edited:
I am positive that Island Air out in Hawaii has it spelled out in there contract that the company will give full time pilots FMLA benefits...I seem to remember that American Eagle had similar language in their contract although I am not certain.

Inuit Air does not however, when I had a child born I went into see my Inuit Air DCP and I was told to call out on "Emergency Leave"...I did...I ended up with about eight weeks off (I also used vacation and strategic bidding of days off) I never heard anything from anyone...and I was paid in full for the whole time.

That being said...that was two DCP's ago so attitudes may have changed. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back