Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

say again

I love her ARSE!!!!
We were flying in gusty winds (high 30's) and the CA I was flying with consistently flew w/out the yaw damp, even when I queried him about it. I was getting seasick up front, let alone the passengers in the back. One actually did lose her lunch. Poor pilot technique, maybe forgetting to re-engage once you kick off the autopilot ( a few thousand feet above rwy)?? Great guy/pilot but couldnt understand why he wouldnt re-engage it (his reason was he didnt feel the need-fair enough). I can see in calm winds , but not when we are all over the sky. Not b!tching, just curious to see if other pilots do this as well, and there reasons for it.

You didn't state what aircraft or particulars, so a response can only be fairly generic.

In many aircraft, especially in turbulence, I've found I can do better than the yaw damper, and the aircraft is better flown without it. Again, that depends on the airplane. In some aircraft, the yaw damper is very important equipment and essential to certification.

In some aircraft, attempting to do the job of the yaw damper can cause overstress and can damage the airplane.

You'll need to be more specific.

Latest resources

Back