• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying verses non-Flying in the ANG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MRI done yesterday confirms I am now getting older and could lose a few pounds, but my back is tumor free and is healing nicely. I had a backseat ride a week ago and survived the stress on the back, so I'm gonna dive back into Eagle driving for 2 more years. It will be tough to get back on step after the layoff, but I've seen enough TX students come through after 1-3 years out and snap back pretty quick...so I'll dive back in.

Psysix--I'm not at Eglin but at Tyndall in the FTU. CCDisco is doing the ops Reserve thing at Eglin. On any given day either one of us can claim to have the "better" job, but they are both good gigs.

Magnum--when you get to F-22 FTU maybe I'll be one of your tackling dummies.

2 EPEs, 2 checkrides, a host of tests to get done in about 2 weeks. This will be fun...

Congrats

It'll be like riding a bike again. Once a fighter pilot always a figher pilot. Just brush off the rust and get on with it. Youth and agility got nothin over old age and treachary :D ! It's good to hear some good news once in a while.

PS. If you run into Chico Harrigian in Raptor land, tell him Gator says HI.
Cheers...ExAF

"Chico" become "Cobra" in the F-15 and did VERY well. He was first FA-22 CC at KPAM, and is now doing some nasty staff/school work somewhere. I suspect we'll see him again as the LFI OG/CC one day. Great driver and an awesome Ops officer--hard to find the guy who can be a great leader and a solid ops officer and still be a great bro, but he pulled it off with style...

Is Tyndall only an FTU base? Eglin and Nellis do all of the testing? And does Nellis have reservist?

Tyndall has the WEG, or Weapons Evaluation Group. Units go in there TDY and shoot live missiles. I do not know of any reservists at that unit.

I do not know the status of Eglin test unit reserves, but I think the adversary squadron at Nellis and perhaps 422 TES have a few reservists.

...while I think I am blessed with a fantastic ANG job, I do think flying Eagles or Vipers in the aggressor unit at Nellis at as a part time gig would be about as much fun as you could have flying fighters...just one dude's opinion...

AlbieF15 said:
Tyndall has the WEG, or Weapons Evaluation Group. Units go in there TDY and shoot live missiles. I do not know of any reservists at that unit.

I do not know the status of Eglin test unit reserves, but I think the adversary squadron at Nellis and perhaps 422 TES have a few reservists.

...while I think I am blessed with a fantastic ANG job, I do think flying Eagles or Vipers in the aggressor unit at Nellis at as a part time gig would be about as much fun as you could have flying fighters...just one dude's opinion...

We actually have a FDX bro who is an F-16 reservist in the 422. He's on a leave o' absence.

AlbieF15 said:
...while I think I am blessed with a fantastic ANG job, I do think flying Eagles or Vipers in the aggressor unit at Nellis at as a part time gig would be about as much fun as you could have flying fighters...
Same, part-time Eagles over the Nellis ranges, what a deal. Some dude will score. I'd look into it but we're too happy here.
psysicx said:
Is it hard to get on as an aggressor on AD or reserves?
Yes, you have to be an IP. A junior Capt here was just assigned one, now he's has to complete IPUG.

It must be fun to fly fighters in the desert especially if you can do it part time. Whats life like in Florida besides hurricanes is it expensive?

Okay dammit, I'm back... The Eagle and I are not quite done dancing...

A pair of simulator checks, some tests, a few supervised flights...and I'm back in the game. Fini flight is pushed back a bit longer... Thanks to everyone for all the support, friendship, and prayers. I'm not a fan of high G rate fights (hate 'em even more than I used to...) due to the ache in my back they create, but ops tested I can still get the job done.

Latest resources

Back