• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Vingus said:
You are truly an A$$.

Thanks!

I was being serious about the break in service. Ask anyone.
Happened to me, and took almost 2 years from date of swear-in to the start date of my T-course.
If you mention what kind of job you're looking for, someone else might be able to steer you in the right direction. I wouldn't talk to the recruiters, I'd talk to the DO.
That specific enough for you?

I am more interested in a non-flying gig to end my 20. I don't really want the long spool-up time of requal for a flying job and I'm not interested in being put on AEF.

I live in the NYC area and would be interested in anything here near the coast.

I even looked on the FedJobs website, thinking that I my mil service would transfer, but those jobs looked crappy.

So being that I'm not interested in a flying job, there is no DO to talk to. Who would hold the bag on the rest of the cats and dogs jobs?

Just fishing.

Das IMA Program

First, its not your old IMA program anymore in that it is changing from the quiet backwater it once was, specifically, you may or may not be on an AEF roster; given the numerous deployments, nothing is sacred, because you can still be activated and sent to wherever the AF wants, as to the probability of that happening, well the last time I talked with the IMA people Jan 2005, they said very few IMAs in fact had been activated involuntarily, in that there are many people who are willing to volunteer. However, changes were afoot as I retired this summer and most of the activations up to that point in time were in critical fields like weather, security-- not pilots.

In your case, where you have been out, simply go to the ARPC website, they have numbers for you to call, or do a search, note a "BIMAA" is a person who works at a specific base managing IMAs, (see Hill AFB they have a smattering of IMA jobs listed). Also you can live and do your job elsewhere, in fact there were no slots at my base, but I was put in touch with the senior IMA officer for my base and he informed that there were in fact slots at my base, they were just on paper managed from the parent command. Failing that, simply call the AF Reserve recruiter and tell them you want to apply for an IMA slot, which are available on the web to view, listed by AFSC, rank, locale, etc--but paradoxically, you have to already be on duty in some form to access the system, but AFRES ARPC people might have since changed that feature.

As to actually going into a flying unit after being dormant for some time, it might have been problematic for some, but I've seen it happen in 90 days for an individual who hadn't flown in 3 years, however, if you're lacking in social skills with the people that actually do the paperwork drill, then I can see why it might practically take an act of god to make things happen, best of luck!

Life with AV Gas

Albie,
As you know, I just retired, flew my last Mudhen sortie over a year ago and had two other non-flying jobs in 20 years. My guess is you are now at the point where when you see a perfectly flown 4 ship up initial, everything in your mind stops as you count off the seconds between pitchout and laugh when 4 goes 1 second early. Been there three times now, only this time there won't be another chance to do it again. The desire to do it again will never go away. There is no question that non-flying jobs can be a lot of butt-pain, however, lots of considerations. What will pulling Gs for several more years do to help your back survive flying cargo, which is what really pays for kids to go to college (and weddings--three if I'm not mistaken). On the other hand, hanging around those who aren't like us can drive a person to climb a clock tower with a deer rifle. Then there is the student who almost hits you on a heat to guns because he's buried his cranium in the scope looking for what he is about to hit.... yikes! Anyway, I got tired of not flying so am two rides into getting my private single engine land. What a BLAST! Did you know those things on the floor have another purpose besides steering, brakes and slow speed BFM? Can't wait to get checked out so I can take my kids up. Anyway, good luck with your medical, and the big decision. PM me if you want to hear shoe clerk horror stories.
Prost!
Griz

Hey Albie,

Tough decision. I'm not sure how you've been juggling 3 yobs, anyway. I wouldn't look at this as an ending, but as a new opportunity to enjoy your life more. Yes, flying fighters is huge part of your life. Mine, too. However, you always new it couldn't last forever. We all do. At some point, the Man is going to give you a sign that it's time to move on, and this may be it. You can still serve your country (which is the most important aspect of our Guard/Reserve gig), and it will free up some time to devote to your other bidness and your family.

It's not easy, but it really is win/win. Keep flying F-15s? Win. Stop and spend more time with your family and EmeraldCoast? Win. Thanks for flying as long as you did! Good luck, and see ya around the AOC.

Tough One...

...Getting to 20 can be an elusive target. The light at the never ending tunnel. Guys crawling to the finish line doing Academy Liaison Jobs, points only jobs, etc, etc. The last few years seem the hardest.
My thoughts, fly. When I was cranium safety, I thought I was either going to poke my eyes out, or that my brains would melt. I couldn't stand sitting "up there" writing queepy plans. Guys would come into my office and I'd have pencils up my nose, I couldn't stand it, and that was a flying job. I did find this web site however.
One thing I've accepted, you don't have to be the wing/squadron top IP, that requires too much time. Let the young guys do that. I go in, help were I can, and leave, otherwise the family suffers. Especially considering our other jobs. While 3-1 changes, it doesn't change that much (except for Shot and Kill).
You'll miss the AFTPs.

CCDiscoB said:
...Getting to 20 can be an elusive target. The light at the never ending tunnel. Guys crawling to the finish line doing Academy Liaison Jobs, points only jobs, etc, etc. The last few years seem the hardest.
My thoughts, fly. When I was cranium safety, I thought I was either going to poke my eyes out, or that my brains would melt. I couldn't stand sitting "up there" writing queepy plans. Guys would come into my office and I'd have pencils up my nose, I couldn't stand it, and that was a flying job. I did find this web site however.
One thing I've accepted, you don't have to be the wing/squadron top IP, that requires too much time. Let the young guys do that. I go in, help were I can, and leave, otherwise the family suffers. Especially considering our other jobs. While 3-1 changes, it doesn't change that much (except for Shot and Kill).
You'll miss the AFTPs.

While I have a long way to go yet, I think it'd be great to be "just a wingman" again! Of course, I'd be the best wingman on the planet, but that's just me....

Latest resources

Back