Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PAPA FOX!

Super Bowl bound 2008!!
Has anyone ever done this in a light single? It looks like landing on a beach is the only option since there are no airports there. I'm thinking about trying this next summer if it is indeed feasible in a 172. It is easily within range being only 160 nm from Halifax. It sounds like with overwater survival gear that is would be easy and if I go down I know there will be a stream of transatlantic flights monitoring 121.5 overhead!! Can anyone PM me who has landed there and what I can expect. Sounds like it would be a blast.

Just because it is 'do able' doesn't make it safe. Decision making should tell you to consider this a 'twin' a engine operation.

A1FlyBoy said:
Just because it is 'do able' doesn't make it safe. Decision making should tell you to consider this a 'twin' a engine operation.

Well just because it will be in a single doesn't mean it will be unnecessarily unsafe. If I plan it properly and carry the necessary survival gear I think it would be a blast to do. After all many fly singles across the Atlantic via Greenland and Iceland every year. Looking at the route from CYPD to Sable the farthest I'll be from shore will be around 50nm. It will be a lot easier to be resuced at this distance compared to 300nm which easily could be the case in the far north atlantic. I think fog needs to be taken at least as seriously as an engine failure since the appraoch will have to be done totally in VFR. In a well maintained single in the summer I seriously would consider it with the proper equipment.

Just be careful landing on the beach... Sand can be VERY tricky and can hid all manner of hazards.

Don't know if I would do this one, and I am pretty adventurous. Doing it with a pilot who knows the island and has done it before may mitigate some of the risk.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/sableisland/english_en/today_st/regulations_st.htm
Sable Island is one of the few restricted places in Canada.
In 1801 the Government limited access to Sable to stop people from plundering shipwrecks. Now these same restrictions may work to protect the island's fragile habitats. But notice the loopholes and exceptions:
Canada Shipping Act: Sable Island Regulations (excerpts)
The island is under the control of the District Marine Agent of the Department of Transport at Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (the Coast Guard).
No one may go to the island without written permission, except:
people with the Minister's permission to live there;
employees of the Government of Canada carrying out their duties;
people in aircraft or vessels in distress.

No one will be permitted to go to the island unless they are adequately supplied and equipped to completely look after themselves.
Written permission is required before:
putting up a building or any structure on the Island or in the waters within 1 mile;
making any excavation or roadway or disturbing the natural contours of the island;
feeding, interfering with, or otherwise having anything to do with the horses on the island.

Anyone finding a wreck on the island must report it and attempt to prevent further damage.

Last edited:
A little local knowledge will go a long way

I'd definitely proceed with caution if you're new to the beach and "off-airport" types of operations.

The over-water crossing may be your biggest concern but it's not your only concern.

Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir but I'd stongly suggest you contact a local pilot who's operated in and out of that beach.

You need to know about the tides and the slope of the beach.

Have you operated on sand before? You could do some serious damage to a propellor or even trash everything forward of the firewall if you don't know what you're doing.

Plan an alternate and "drag" the landing area (configured and "on-speed") a few times before you touchdown.

Good luck.

I certainly have planned to research everything about flying there before attempting it. I think the AOPA and COPA might be good resources to go to for info as well. Believe me, the last think I am going to be is an impuslive pilot waking up one morning and deciding spur of the moment to fly there w/o adequate preperation. As L.P.C. and Mar have pointed out the sand certainly has me concerned!! Since what looks like an Aerostar in the photo has landed without difficulties I assumed that it wouldn't be much of a problem for a 172. The tides did have me thinking though!!! One thing is for certain. I will leave Nova Scotia with nothing less that full fuel if I even decide to go at all!! If other local pilots talk me out of it I certainly won't resist! Believe me, it will be far better to feel I missed out on something fun than to feel guilty of damaging my plane (or worse) from trying something foolhartedly and stupid.

Latest resources

Back