Flying the ce550 sII

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maxto,

Just relax; The Slotations are about the planes to learn how to fly jets in. Speeds aren't much different than a turboprop, and the straight wing has all the same landing characteristics of a 172.

You asked about power settings, I have to agree with DC8driver, just do what it takes. If you want Ballpark 60% is about Vref, 78% is 210 knots, and 88% is 250 knots at 10,000, but hell that works in just about every jet I've been in.

If everything works out, you'll be extremely bored in about 100 hours or so. However once you start flying some of the other more exciting jets, you will learn to enjoy the Slotations easy mannerisms even more.

On last thing the landing gear tends to be rather stiff on SII's so don't worry too much about the grease job.

I really can't think of any other gotcha's on the Citation, other than knowing your routing since you might have to make a few turns to let faster traffic pass then Center gives you a direct "Wherethef$ck is that."

Watch out for birds, coming from behind!

I have flown the SII over at EJM (Exec Jet MIS-Management) out of "Sunken Lunken" Ohio and have these tidbits to offer:

For power in the pattern we used the "Rule of 60". By setting 60 percent clean, you'll be right at 200 knots or so. Then you can start dirtying up with approach flaps, gear and landing flaps without having to worry about messing with the power. Once established on final, only a slight adjustment to the thrust levers is required to set Vref depending on your weight and atmospheric conditions. I seem to remember about 55 to 56 % N1 on final.

There was a hard and fast rule for speed changes that we used to use for most cruise flight conditions. It was something like 3 knots of airspeed for each 1 percent of N1 (fan speed). So if you were doing 250 and wanted to slow to 200 for the Class D, you'd knock out about 16 percent N1. Easy arithmetic, ya dig?

The Citation has an AOA indicator on it that is extremely handy for use during climbs and approaches. Keep an eye on that sucka while the other guy is flying and see what it usually reads. I seem to remember most climbs at .20 to .25 and if the needle went above .35 to .4, you were starting to run out of steam. (Not hard to do in an SII with a decent load of fuel and pax.) She'll get up to the low 30's ok with a load but before going to 390 or 410, I'd burn the fuel down to 4000 lbs. or less first. Using the AOA on approaches made life easy too, just set it where the white band was located (about .6 I believe) and you were right on Vref.

On the lighter side:

Carry lots of enroute charts or "sticky window shades" so you can put them up in the windows to block the sunlight. The Slowtation is a FLYING GREENHOUSE WITH WINGS! You will bake on the ground in the wintertime even if it is below freezing out! I remember well my days of pulling into Raytheon at HOU Hobby in the middle of August and practically sweating to death....Yikes!

Don't forget to retract the flaps after leaving the runway. Unlike the Citation II, they are not electric but hydraulic. Once the engines are shut down at the ramp, you sit there like an idiot with your flaps down.....Ooops!

Enjoy the "Slowwie".....its a great little birdie indeed.
Sean in the Smokies

A little gotcha

Something to be careful of on the 550....

When closing the cabin door it is very easy to go over center with the handle. If you do go over center...
1. the door is not locked, and is easily vibrated open
2. you will have no indication in the coclpit that the door is not locked, you have to go pretty far over center with the handle before the door unlocked light comes on in the cockpit.
3. it is important to inspect the green stripes to make sure they line up PERFECTLY. This is the only real indication that the door is locked.

You don't hear much about this little quirk but can be a potential disaster.

As a couple other guys said, the 550 is just like a big 172. Maybe too easy to fly.

Have fun.

Thanks for the insight all.. Lots of good tips. It seems like the more I hear, it is indeed a big 172. Looking forward to the experience and the long awaited transitions into the world of turbines.

You should transition very easily into the 550. It is a very docile airplane and you will never want to go back to turboprops! Approach speed on the 550 is typically 12-15 knots slower than the king air i was flying! But, be aware, you will need to plan more in slowing down.

The sunshades are a MUST. Got the smoky colored ones at wal-mart for about 6 bucks. just plaster 'em up there and it makes a HUGE difference. You will fry up there. When i first started in the 560 i kept turning the a/c colder cause i was burning up and my boss said 'hey, there's ice forming on this vent back here, think we could warm it up a bit?' hahahaa. you'll see.

and about the door, yes, make sure the green stripes line up to ensure it's locked. also, when you go to open it after the flight, give the seal time to deflate...you'll hear it. otherwise, you could damage the seal. as for the steps, let them down gently....

have a ball.

Latest resources

Back