Flying the ce550 sII

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max T.O.

I'll Be getting the opportunity to fly part 91 legs with a citation pilot. Though I have a good amount turboprop time, I have no turbojet time. I was curious if any one could tell me some good rules of thumb for flying the citation( such as things to watch for, general power settings for climbs decents approaches. quirks of the airplane etc.) I do know exact specs are determined on weight and meterological conditions. I will be studing the manuals soon and If all goes well perhaps type school, but before then, I dont want to look like a complete idiot. all help is greatly appreciated.

I'll tell you what the crusty old Captain told me the first time I flew the DC-8. I had asked him about target power settings and he turned toward me, smiled and said " What ever it takes kid".

You'll figure it out fast.

That's good Falcon Capt - only a person with time in the slowtations can elbow them that way - so I do it a lot.

It's a big 172 with better engines and you'll learn the ropes pretty quickly. If there is a more docile jet out there I'd like to fly it.

I've only flown the "Sorta-Fastations" That being the CE-650 series (III, VI & VII)...

They seemed like good machines, but always felt like a "Plastic Jet" to me... I only have about 500 hours in the CE-650's...

The only thing I can tell you is the CE-550 is easy to fly. What you do want to do is get comfortable in the cockpit. Spend the time to just sit in the airplane and find all the switches. You will be of great help to the captain when he needs you to find something and you know where it is. That includes fire extinguishers and first aid kits. Dont touch the TKS switch unless you are in visible moisture and at or below freezing. After minus 10 just use the cowls. The TKS fluid will freez. Dont ask. I still get a nervous twitch just thinking about it. BE CARFUL refilling the TKS tank. Again, dont ask. Our old radio guy still gives me dirty looks and I dont even work there anymore.

Oh and you will have to put up with the jokes. She isnt fast, but she is a great ship and very forgiving.

Hey Empenage,

This is totally off topic, but are the CL-600 and CL-604 different type ratings?

If so, Does the CL-600 only cover the CL-600 & CL-601?

I was under the impression that the CL-60 type covered all of the Challengers....

Just curious....

Gotta agree with DC8Driver

The captain I flew with espoused the "Lever Method" for your power settings. Just move that there lever to make it go as fast or slow as you want. I tried it and it works fine. Used it ever since.

Falcon Capt:

Yep they are. The CL-600 covers the 600 and the 601. The 600 having the Lycoming engines and the 601 having the G.E. engines. The 604 is a 601 with Collins avionics and 2 "saddle tanks" in the hell hole.

Collins vs. Honeywell......Well I hated the Collins untill I got used to it. I think it presents information better especially crossing the pond than the Honeywell though. Both are excellent.

If you have the CL-600 type then the 604 type is only a 10 day school.

Latest resources

Back