Flying Skydivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Has anyone on here ever flown airplanes for skydiving companies? I was mainly curious as to how much flight time you could get per day?

I'm also curious about some other things. Do most operators have turbine equipment? What is the job like?

Depends on the operation. Many have more than one airplane. We had a DC-3, BE-18, BE-50, 2 182's and a part time DHC-6. There were plenty of times I ended up in all of them in a single day or just the 182 all day, depends on the jumpers. It is all about getting to altitude and then getting down!! You aren't lolly-gagging up there after they are out. You are pulling the plug and coming down as fast as you can keeping the temps in the green on the recips. In the Otter, I could beat the jumpers down usually. Figure around 35 to 40 mins a round trip in the 182 if it is climbing good. 15 to 20 in the otter. You can fly as much as you can with the sunlight or a load or two, again depending on the operation. I ended up with about 600 hrs in 182's and 206's. Another 3 or 4 hundered in the twins. That is spread out over several years also. It is a whole different kind of flying. Can be dangerous if you don't pay attention to weight and balance, fuel and density alt. Otherwise it is fun!!

skydivers

Depends on the operation,they might try to overload you or push you into flying with minimum fuel,you have to be able to resist that,meaning losing the job.Another problem is minimum instruments,bad idea in case of a night jump.Planes tend to be junk and in case of a ramp check you will be sweating.Jumping in or near class b requires some politics with the controllers.The great news is that the pay will not cover even your driving expenses.Before 911 it was 50$ a day plus 6$ for any extra jump over 6 jumps,after 911 it went down to 25$ a day and dont remember the extra.During the week most of the time only 2 or 3 jumps,much more on the weekend.I am describing only the operation i knew and i hope others are better.Another operation in the area bent 2 planes in about a year plus,the one i flew for seems that recently bent the second one in a year plus,donno the full details,sorry my post is getting too long,good luck.

One aspect of flying jumpers is that it's seasonal. I'm a jumper who's a pilot (not a jump pilot), but I know that I'm a lot less excited about getting out of the aircraft at altitude in the wintertime. Between that and cruddy weather, jumping really slows down in the NE during the winter. Could impact your cash flow. I understand that a lot of planes migrate south for the winter on leases though.

Lance

Flying skydivers is generally a real blast. The people are the friendliest you'll ever meet, although they tend to be a little on the crazy side. I, personally, have the experience of flying skydivers to thank for getting me where I am now. It really got my flying career going.

I started in a C-206. Carrying 5 jumpers to 10,500' took about 40 minutes. My best day was 14 loads. Flying a King Air B90, I'd take 14 jumpers to 14,000'. Flight time was about 26 minutes. The Twin Otter with -11s (not a Super Otter) would seat 23. With 3 loads worth of fuel, I'd take 17 or 18. Increasing 250 lbs/load. 13,000' would be about 30 minutes. My best King Air day was 29 loads. I fly three loads and then fuel up. Some dropzones have someone to help out with fueling, some have the pilot do it. With a helper, we'd hot-fuel (fuel without shutting down).

Pay varies. Usually, it's a flat rate to show, like $60, and then a per load amount depending on your agreement with the DZO or leasing company. $10-15 per load is typical. I think I was only getting like $5 per load in the 206 when I first started.

It's a lot of fun, I'd recommend it. Just don't ever compromise on safety.

-pj

Flight time will depend solely on the company and drop zone. During summer on the weekend you can average a few hours in a 182 even during a slow day. On a labor day weekend with 4 days operation I put 38 hours in my logbook. During the winter it's worse than a flight instructor.

Turbines depend on the area and operation. Some companys have many some don't. Also plan on having to prove yourself to the owner and jumpers in a smaller airplane before they trust you to a turbine, normally a summer or previous experience flying jumpers in recip at a smaller drop zone as you move up. There are many things to be aware of when flying jumpers to keep you and your passengers and planes safe, all of that comes with the operation and company and time in the seat. As has been said earlier, if you get the right company where else can you get to have this much fun in a caravan/otter/kingair.

Jump flying is a good way to build time

I have about 1200 hours flying 182's and 206's in skydiving operations and even have logged some skydiver driving while flying a SENICA III with the doors off. I also have 500+ jumps and am a USPA member.

I'd say it is a good place to build time. Find a club if you want camaraderie, find a business for profit drop zone if you want to get paid and fly a well maintained airplane. BUSINESSES DON'T MAKE MONEY ON AIRCRAFT THAT ARE DOWN FOR MAINT.

As for that wt/balance comment from above...I fly a 182 that has the 300 HP conversion and we get 5 on the floor with no problem and the balance is forward...not aft and it is within limits. You'll hear alot of aviation urban legend and folklore about jump flying...go check it out yourself and look at several places before making up your mind. Usually the guys passing bad stories about drop zones are the ones the management ran off due to stupidity or the jumpers either couldn't stand the pilot or were too scared by the pilot. I have seen this happen several times!

As far as the planes...if jump planes scare you cause they don't have an HSI in them or new carpet, boy are you not going to like 135 at all.

I highly recommend a mix of flying jumpers and flight instructing, to really round out that resume and build skills and quality flight time.

P.S. the guys that make comments about min fuel, usually can't flight plan a flight for 1.5 hours in a 152 without topping the tanks...so take those comments with a grain of salt. We fly with enough fuel in the 300 hp 182 to make two loads, plus the day vfr mins plus a couple of gallons. We have two other airports just minutes away...any other fuel on the plane is just a weight penalty on your performance margins.

Starting my third year of flying skydivers. I work for a non-turbine operator and fly a 182.

It's a seasonal business. In Texas, business picks up in April and goes strong until August. It Picks up again in September and falls off in November.

Flight time varies by weather and who shows up. Figure in a 182 about .6 hours per load. The most loads I did in one day was 17. That was 14 day loads, about a 3 hour break, and then 3 night loads. My duty day was from 8:30 a.m. until 12:45 a.m. the next morning.

Most locations have gone to turbine equipment. The smaller family style DZ's will have either a 182 or 206.

Pay? Not much. As payment I get a free lunch, $5 per load, the occasional back/neck rub, sometimes a nice flash from the chicks, and free beer at the end of the day.

Check out diverdriver.com for more information. Also do a search for drop zone listings.

PM me if you want some more info.

Latest resources

Back