Flying Predators is fatiguing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mzaharis

Thought you guys might find this interesting . . .

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2008/04/study-flying-predators-bad-for.html

Here's the original study.
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA477976&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

From the abstract of the Naval Postgraduate School paper:
A previous study showed shift working crewmembers in a MQ-1 Predator unmanned aircraft system (UAS) squadron had significantly increased fatigue, emotional exhaustion, and burnout relative to traditional aircrew from another “high-demand, low density” weapon system. This study presents the results of a follow-up survey of this population of UAS crewmembers who were supporting “reachback” teleoperations using a modified rotational shift work schedule. Specifically, shift work-related increases in fatigue, sleepiness, and risk for performance decrements were examined. Shift system features and individual and situational differences associated with fatigue were also explored. Finally, shift system features of several types of schedules were assessed through modeling and simulation. The study found no significant reduction in reported fatigue despite prior modifications to the shift work schedule. It also demonstrated the potential for inadequate staffing levels to magnify the adverse effects of shift work.

Doesn't surprise me. While it's not as demanding as tank/cas/tank/cas/tank/recover for 7 hours, it IS hours and hours of cubicle work, staring at a computer. It's a mundane routine and I can't imagine how much it sucks.

But you deal death from your cubicle. A bad day at the office could have some pretty dire consequences--frat, collateral damage, etc.

I'm sure its a completely weird and wild operation to operate and lead. Glad there are folks doing it.

Doesn't surprise me. While it's not as demanding as tank/cas/tank/cas/tank/recover for 7 hours, it IS hours and hours of cubicle work, staring at a computer. It's a mundane routine and I can't imagine how much it sucks.

I can - you just described my life! :crying:

Although, I can assure you I'm not dealing death from my cubicle!

Latest resources

Back