Flying in Texas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airspur

My company has a route (KDFW-KLBB) that I'd like some info about.
Anything about the airports, cities, route, wx, way-of-life will help.
Thanks and Aloha.

Airports- not many

Cities- not many

Route- cleared direct unless the MOAs are hot

Wx- in the spring, bring along a boxer's mouthguard, welding helmet with a #5 shade, and a sense of invincibility, and you should be OK

Way of life- purdy slow

Is this cargo? Are you going to be flying the Winnebago?

DFW, just don't go there during a push. LBB don't get in SWA's way, they taxi at rotation speed. You'll pass over Abilene with two long runways, and Dyess AFB, that's about all.

You'll probably go to LBB on the worth departure which goes to LBB, never need an enroute chart; and return on the Motza arrival, once again not needing an enroute chart. mostly flat in between with a major interstate highway underneath you most of the way. No dangerous terrain to speak of, lots of nothing.

DFW is smack dab in the middle of the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex. You'll find just about anything you want there, including traffic jams leading to DFW at just about any time of the day. Lubbock is a college town, home to the best looking women in Texas. It's big enough to have anything you need, but it's sort of ugly if you like any kind of natural scenery. Friendly people and a couple of good restuarants.

regards,
8N

Yep it's a night cargo run in the Irish Concorde.
It's a possible base change. However, I'm fairly
content out here in the middle of the Pacific. :cool:

Lots of sand and dirt out that way!
I've had to do a few ILS's into there because of sandstorms. This time of year it'll be hot, and bumpy. It seems like there is always a dry line that forms from Midland-Lubbock-Amarillo which fires off some nasty thunderstorms.
Tech women are pretty!
And the FBO's are pretty good about giving out the courtesy vans.

Have fun!

LBB -

Flat, brown, no trees. There used to be a feed lot on the southeast part of town and the smell would blow in in the mornings if the wind was right. I second the opinion that Tech women are hotties. Eat the breakfast tacos at Josies. Ask someone about "the strip."

Enroute -

Flat, brown - grey, few towns. Giant TRW's in the spring with the dryline.

DFW -

Traffic, congestion, heat, humidity, too many Yankees.

NoPlaneNoGain said:
Tech women are pretty!
NoPlaneNoGain has a knack for understatement...enjoy the view!

Okay - here's what you need to do:

Somewhere on your route, you need to create some sort of problem that'll force you to divert. Then steer to the south, fly for about an hour, and make a landing at Llano for some BBQ. You and your pax won't regret it! :p

Oh, and depending on when you decide to divert, watch out for Dubya's little TFR around his ranch.

For the natural scenery you don't have to come to DFW either. The green variety is another few hours drive away, the walking variety seems to be 5' and 300+lbs with just a few exceptions (yes I know it becomes a little different in the rich parts of town, but that is not in the immediate DFW vicinity). Food is the typical chain store stuff, pretty good bbq place just nw of the airport in Grapevine, good mexican is Esparza's in Grapevine or Mariano's in Arlington. The last one is even better at their original location on Greenville in N. Dallas. If you need a crashpad pick up the DFW airport newspaper

Latest resources

Back