Flying in SE Asia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rondo

Has anyone been flying in SE Asia? Going to be based in Thailand flying throughout SE Asia. Will have handlers for all flights. Will be a N registered airplane. Never been there yet. Any advice or tips appreciated.

Last edited:
Carry extra fuel ... and know how to use the offset feature on your FMS. It is not uncommon to be given a 5 or 10 mile offset on your routing.

Also, if you go to WSSS, plan some extra time to get to/from the airplane.

Carry extra fuel ... and know how to use the offset feature on your FMS. It is not uncommon to be given a 5 or 10 mile offset on your routing.

Also, if you go to WSSS, plan some extra time to get to/from the airplane.

Now there's a wealth of information.....:)

Hey! Lighten up, Francis! WTF else is there ... oh yea ... you will see the largest T-Storm of your life ... other than that, it is just flying the airplane. Especially if you are using handlers to take care of all the BS and permits ...

I guess I also forgot ... no such thing as a pop up in Asia ... Everything takes 24hrs min.

Last edited:
Rondo,
Have fun and enjoy the flying. Flew the Pacific Rim for a few years and loved the experience. Has been a few years since I flew in the region, but I assume there is more radar coverage and/or ADS. I believe Japan, Korea, Philippines and Thailand were TERPS. Not sure if they are PANSOPS or not now. China is meters, but use QNH vice QFE. Take a good international procedures course before you go. I have used FSI and most recently ATI (Dave Stohr. Wealth of info). Hope this helped.

Hey! Lighten up, Francis! WTF else is there ... oh yea ... you will see the largest T-Storm of your life ... other than that, it is just flying the airplane. Especially if you are using handlers to take care of all the BS and permits ...

I guess I also forgot ... no such thing as a pop up in Asia ... Everything takes 24hrs min.

Dont be Mr Grumpy, you been on the road too long.

If you hang out in Asia too long you become one of those creepy old (or middle aged and bald) Gulfstream pilots who grunt and smirk when you mention Bangkok.

I'm pretty new to SE Asia as well. Here is what I've figured out so far. (I'm flying an N registered aircraft out of Singapore)

Always print your fuel release and carry it with you. I also fuel on arrival.

The tropopause is above 50,000 at the equator. So get used to cold temperatures aloft. It's usually -60 at FL410. That also means you'll be dodging storms at altitude unless you are in the Concorde. Though there is lots of room for deviations. Most people ask for a lateral offset as opposed to a heading. (Not sure why though, ATC does vector you).

The surface weather is pretty tame the storms don't generate that much wind. (20kts at the most), and the air is too humid for any wind-shear. (I think). I don't have any experience with Typhoons though. They don't show up until 20 deg N latitude (I think).

The controllers in some countries suck. Director (approach) will vector you into the side of a mountain in Indonesia. The controllers in Burma sound like they're sitting inside a tin can. None of the controllers know how to push traffic like DCA, LGA, ORD etc. But even the "busy" airports here aren't that busy. (I haven't been to Tokyo though). But BKK, SIN, KUL etc, are slow compared to busy US airports. Priority is given to airline flights at the smaller field, so expect to get passed up for takeoff.

Most of the time you tell ATC when you're ready to start your descent. So you can stay high and plan a nice power idle descent.

Most places you have to call ATC and request engine start.
POB=Person on Board, always know your endurance, ATC will ask for it a few times per flight as you cross FIR boundaries some times.

Check in with transponder code when crossing into a new FIR.

On a STAR you'll see minimum altitudes for fixes. They're not "expect" altitudes. You have to obey them. So if one fix says "AT or Above FL 150" and you're given a descent to FL100, you still need to adhere to that restriction.

Find out from your local handler how long he needs to apply for permits for each country. I just had a trip cancel to Indonesia after we found out the Indo DGCA (FAA) closed for two weeks for the post-Ramadan holidays. So we couldn't get a permit.

Most runways aren't grooved or PFC.

I carry a COPY of the mx logs, and a trip log with:
[DATE, DEPT, DEST, PIC NAME, SIC NAME, REASON FOR FLIGHT (private vs charter), OUT TIME, IN TIME, and PIC SIGNATURE]

Pack bottled water
----------------------
How do you guys file your flight plans? I don't have much luck with ARINC Direct, so I just print a copy out and give it to the handler when I arrive.

Last edited:
Thanks Man!!!

I'm pretty new to SE Asia as well. Here is what I've figured out so far. (I'm flying an N registered aircraft out of Singapore)

Always print your fuel release and carry it with you. I also fuel on arrival.

The tropopause is above 50,000 at the equator. So get used to cold temperatures aloft. It's usually -60 at FL410. That also means you'll be dodging storms at altitude unless you are in the Concorde. Though there is lots of room for deviations. Most people ask for a lateral offset as opposed to a heading. (Not sure why though, ATC does vector you).

The surface weather is pretty tame the storms don't generate that much wind. (20kts at the most), and the air is too humid for any wind-shear. (I think). I don't have any experience with Typhoons though. They don't show up until 20 deg N latitude (I think).

The controllers in some countries suck. Director (approach) will vector you into the side of a mountain in Indonesia. The controllers in Burma sound like they're sitting inside a tin can. None of the controllers know how to push traffic like DCA, LGA, ORD etc. But even the "busy" airports here aren't that busy. (I haven't been to Tokyo though). But BKK, SIN, KUL etc, are slow compared to busy US airports. Priority is given to airline flights at the smaller field, so expect to get passed up for takeoff.

Most of the time you tell ATC when you're ready to start your descent. So you can stay high and plan a nice power idle descent.

Most places you have to call ATC and request engine start.
POB=Person on Board, always know your endurance, ATC will ask for it a few times per flight as you cross FIR boundaries some times.

Check in with transponder code when crossing into a new FIR.

On a STAR you'll see minimum altitudes for fixes. They're not "expect" altitudes. You have to obey them. So if one fix says "AT or Above FL 150" and you're given a descent to FL100, you still need to adhere to that restriction.

Find out from your local handler how long he needs to apply for permits for each country. I just had a trip cancel to Indonesia after we found out the Indo DGCA (FAA) closed for two weeks for the post-Ramadan holidays. So we couldn't get a permit.

Most runways aren't grooved or PFC.

I carry a COPY of the mx logs, and a trip log with:
[DATE, DEPT, DEST, PIC NAME, SIC NAME, REASON FOR FLIGHT (private vs charter), OUT TIME, IN TIME, and PIC SIGNATURE]

Pack bottled water
----------------------
How do you guys file your flight plans? I don't have much luck with ARINC Direct, so I just print a copy out and give it to the handler when I arrive.

Great post! Thanks for the helpful info. My start date is October 1st.

Can't wait!!!!

Dont be Mr Grumpy, you been on the road too long.

If you hang out in Asia too long you become one of those creepy old (or middle aged and bald) Gulfstream pilots who grunt and smirk when you mention Bangkok.
snort ...did you BANGCOCK ... hehehehehe .. now where did I put my toupee ....

We go to those garden spots. Thailand in particular. Was in Thailand for ten days in August. Been many times. Are you using Universal for handling? What hotel did you settle on?

Latest resources

Back