Flying in China - need advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WhyFlare

Im flying a 6 day trip to China next week. Shanghai and Hong Kong and a couple of other places. Any advice?

I hear they use Metric Flight levels. Lots of paper work and fees.

Thanks in advance.

Hong Kong is pretty easy going in to, depending on time of the day..I was there 11 AM L/T and we were the only airplane in the sky.

Shanghai had some weird approach with a 90 degree turn to the localizer and no radar vectors.

Its not really that big a deal. I suggest trying to find a Chinese RVSM meters conversion chart and a normal ALT vis metric chart. Most of the English is good but I always use a headset even though our speakers are good (747-4), don't ask for anything out of the ordinary and listen up. I think using a uniform is good too. I'm over there 6 to 7 times a year.

They still use metric flight levels but have come up with new levels. You basically fly 100 feet off a standard RVSM altitude. FL12500M would be FL41100.
If your aircraft does the metric conversion you will need to bump it up by 100 feet. You will never have to increase your altitude by 30 meters according to the Chinese. Was there all last week and no issues. The controllers were very helpful with all the flight levels.
Hope this helps. Flying in China has become very easy in the last few years. Expect good radar coverage except in western China. Still kinda remote out there.
Have a good trip.

China is a doddle! Get the metric conversion charts, basically you climb 100` entering and descend 100` exiting. Levels will be given in meters but fly them in feet coverted on the simple chart. Use aviation English without the stateside extras! Controllers are usually very competent but expect lots of chatter in Chinese on the frequency. Have a good time!

We don't use metric system in HKG, and make sure you contact HKG radar 3 miles prior to entering their airspace if you're coming from Chinese airspace.
PM me your email so I can give you a very good information about Chinese RVSM.

Last edited:
What kind of aircraft are you flying to China? Does it have the conversion from feet to metric? Shanghai isn't to bad but becareful of the language barrier? They some times clear you for the arrival , which has altitude restrictions, but tell you to maintain a certain altitude. It happend to us in an MD11. Alot of american carriers including freight companies bust altitudes. Becareful.

Latest resources

Back