• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for the Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
can you guys not see what this thread is about? I was just providing some insight to my experiences, I am done justifying MY reasons for choosing the path I have chosen. So yea, loosen up.

Almerick07 said:
can you guys not see what this thread is about? I was just providing some insight to my experiences, I am done justifying MY reasons for choosing the path I have chosen. So yea, loosen up.

I can't help but laugh (at you, not with you). Good luck with UPT.

Done and done.

Oh-ryan said:
I can't help but laugh (at you, not with you). Good luck with UPT.

Done and done.

DITTO!

No wonder we have such a problem with SNAPs. I gonna make dang sure my two sons don't grow up with similar attitudes and values, even if I have to send them to the R. Lee Ermey finishing school.

What is it with yewts today?

Oh-ryan said:
Almerick07,
You may have a desire to serve your country, but reading your post sounds like you are only willing to do the bare minimum. The military is about sacrifice my friend... active duty, ANG, or reserves. Do us a favor and go VFR direct to Airtran or jetBlue (wink, wink).

That just depends on the person. I don't think it's all about that. MANY people love the military. My father is one, the only reason he left was because of his wife who in turn won't let me go lol. Amazing how much pull she gets whe she paid for the education.

agreed, they think since I find benefits in it Im less of a person. Since when does a sense of duty require you to be miserable?

Almerick07,

I don't think Albie and the others equate a sense of duty with being miserable (sidebar discussion: duty, self-sacrifice, and their implications on the pain factor). I think what's rubbing a lot of the the military guys the wrong way is the perceived attitude of "I'll join the military to build my time until I can get to the majors." I used the word "perceived" intentionally, because without having a face-to-face dialogue with you I can't discern your true attitude. The important point is that you commit to the military, be it active, ANG, or reserve, because you feel you owe a service to your country and everyone in it, and are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for that. Until you come to grips with the fact that your fiance and mother may be holding an american flag on a green lawn some afternoon in the future and internalize that the sacrifice was worth it, you will be no good to the military. Even though I think that W.'s use of the guard has replaced the draft of the Vietnam era, it still bothers me that some grumble about deploying with the reserves or the guard, as if they expected the extra pay, benefits, GI bill, without having to actually point a rifle or a jet at a bad guy with the intent to launch ordnance down range. And that attitude, believe it or not, will be easily apparent the first day you start training and will follow you around until you change your tune or get out.

The comment about the majors had nothing to do with using the military for time, since reserve is my best option I will need a civilian job to make a living. I was mentioning Airtran and Jetblue because they are two of the best airlines right now and a future with them might be positive. I would love to be AD and am still pursuing those options as a back up plan. I love the military and everything it is about, but I do also love my fiance and respect the fact she doesnt want to marry me if i am AD. Now I apologize if I am wrong for loving my fiance more than a career, but that wont change. I feel lucky the reserves work in my favor, I am not joining them so Im not deployed or so I dont have to go to war. I am joining them for a higher quality of life in my fiances opinion, she just doesnt want to move every 3 years. If I wanted to fly for an airline only I would just flight instruct and call it a day. I probably should have worded my original post better, but I was under the impression people came to this thread for advice not to get prosectued.

We are PERSECUTING you because you seemed flip about the obligations that are part of joining the military. Prosecute is what the JAG will do to your buddies who are banging your then wife when you get deployed for 180 days and get nailed under UCMJ for adultery. Although not always done, sometimes people ARE charged with crimes in the military for what in the civilian world would not be a crime. Again...this, the chance of dying, and the fact you give up your potential freedom for a part time job with no full time benefits are just some of the joys of serving you seem to have overlooked.

If you cannot join because your fiancee says you cannot, then I strongly suggest you follow her advice. In this case think she may be on to something and knows what is best for you.

I am joining them for a higher quality of life in my fiances opinion, she just doesnt want to move every 3 years.

That is her sole reason for not wanting me AD, she wants to have a career of her own.

sometimes people ARE charged with crimes in the military for what in the civilian world would not be a crime. Again...this, the chance of dying, and the fact you give up your potential freedom for a part time job with no full time benefits are just some of the joys of serving you seem to have overlooked.

These are NOT my reason for not wanting to go AD...goodness

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Latest resources

Back