Flying for a College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetboy said:
Anyone ever flown for a college or university flight department?

I am a full-time professor and part-time pilot for a 135 company. I would LOVE it if my university started a flight department. We have an A&P program and lots of airplanes, including a King Air 100 that could be made airworthy for very little money. And, they would save a ton of money that is now wasted on airline tickets for professors and administrators who have to go to satellite locations and to the state capitol.

They have the airplane; they have a pilot (I am 135 qualified in King Air B200s); they have the mechanics. They have the money, and would probably save something. But...

Saint Louis University has a King Air 100.....two pilots, occasionally three. Main pilot also does the maint. of the plane. Other pilot is a ground school instructor for Parks College. The plane gets quite a bit of utilization but I dont see either of the pilots leaving anytime soon, and I dont imagine the pay is anything more than decent either, the university tends to neglect the aviation program. Hope that little info helped.

I know at Purdue they have two B200's and a Beechjet 400. The PIC's are all professors at the school so they don't employ anyone that isn't already on the payroll as a professor. I think it'd be a good gig if you could find somewhere that hires outside people but unless you're interested in teaching a college class or three it might not be for you.

While I was there there was a guy who hated teaching with a passion and just wanted to fly the King Airs and Diamond jet (which was replaced by the BeechJet). He was pretty much disliked by a lot of people, students and professors alike so unless you're in to teaching don't go to a place like that.

Latest resources

Back