Flying for a College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jetboy

Anyone ever flown for a college or university flight department? I am not talking about learning to fly, I am talking about professional flight departments and pilots flying turbine equipment. What are the schedules typically like, the QOL, and the pay? General info is appreciated. Thanks.

I flew a charter for Mississippi State once. I believe they have their own KA350. While talking to their pilots at their hangar I got the impression that it was about the same as a typical corporate job. I know that doesnt give you much info, but they seemed pretty happy.

On the down side we got a royal butt-chewing from the coach when we picked the team up a few days alter. The charter was set up for a noon pickup, but the coach had been ready to go at 9. Nobody ever changed the schedule (our dispatch never got called) and he was pretty wound up. He treated us like we were his players and was pretty unprofessional.

I guess you can get that anywhere, but I think flying around guys who are used screaming at people to get things done could get old real quick. The players were pretty arrogant too. I dont know if I could do a job where you are pampering some barely literate school kid because he can fling a ball around.

I know a guy that works for MSU flight dept. and he LOVES it. Left a regional airline for it. Works 3 to 4 days a week, home every weekend except during football season. MSU (Mississsippi State) has 2 Hawker 800's, and I believe they also have a couple of Beechjets. Very good company to work for from what I understand.

It all depends on the college or university, some are really bad (the ones that are run by non-aviation, petty little bureaucrats for instance) and some are really awesome. Just like any other job, it depends on the people and the organization.

Good luck......

MSU has two hawkers and a couple of beechjets....you are crazy or got bad info. There are fortune 500 companies with fewer airplanes. I've never heard of a University with more than two jets. C'mon...we are talking about Mississippi. If MSU had that many aircraft wouldn't that quadruple the total number of jets based in the entire state???

FL350 said:
MSU has two hawkers and a couple of beechjets....you are crazy or got bad info. There are fortune 500 companies with fewer airplanes. I've never heard of a University with more than two jets. C'mon...we are talking about Mississippi. If MSU had that many aircraft wouldn't that quadruple the total number of jets based in the entire state???

Dude, I know 2 guys that work there, did my instrument and commercial checkride many moons ago at their airport, I've SEEN their fleet with my own 2 eyes. Why do they have so many planes? Beats the hell out of me. :) But they've got 'em. When I was doing my flight training a few years ago, (at TUP) they had 2 Kingair 350's and 2 Beechjets. They sold the Kingairs, and bought the Hawkers. A friend of mine that used to fly Mesaba Avros went to work for them as a Hawker captain.

Oh.....by the way....WEEGLE WEEGLE WAR D-MN EAGLE!! :) Class of 2000 here!

(the ones that are run by non-aviation, petty little bureaucrats for instance) and some are really awesome. Just like any other job, it depends on the people and the organizatio[/QUOTE]

All the authority with no responsibility. The problem with Universities, state and government agencies (same thing in different states) you always find some D. H. who has a PPL and 100 hrs and this person is your boss. They are also willing to do the job for free. Janitor pilot what’s the difference?

irapilot you said it.

I work heavily with the pilots at SIU. They're pay is good, EXCELLENT bennies, and they're home every night. However, it could take someone 15 years as an instructor there to get in (they won't even let you look at a twin for the first 5 years or so) and most would consider them PFT as the pilots ride right seat while a student who paid for the "charter course" flies left seat.

Anyone know if Arizona State has any aircraft? This is the firs I've heard of any university having a flight dept.

Latest resources

Back