Flying a RJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
snine3,
I can't predict how you will do, but I can share my story.
I was hired to "a midwestern United Express airline" straight out of instructing with 1500TT and 250ME. I went into the Brasila. To enter pt121 training is often equated to drinking out of a fire hose. The amount of FAA required training you must get is crammed into the least amount of time to save costs. The groundschool alone was extremely challenging, especially since if you score less than 80% on a test you're sent home. Did I mention that the tests were purposely written to weed you out? There are several questions the instructors can't even answer. If you're not going to make it, they want to find out before they spend money on you in the sim.

When you go to the sim, it's a whole new world. Instead of the familiar instruments, you now have glass tubes. Instrad of the familiar IFR scan you are used to you must learn a new one. Also add an aircraft that's heavier and faster than anything you're used to. You will be hanging onto the tail trying to keep up for the whole first sim. Unfortunately, the instructor has little sympathy. The sim is very expensive and they have a syllabus to complete on time and on cost. They don't have time for you to "get the feel", they expect you to enter it and fly it right the first time. You are exepected to have flying skills as second nature and focus on the new procedures. Also, you have these funny things called turbines that don't behave how you expect until you get used to them. Good luck. If you aren't caught up on the syllabus by the 3rd day or so, you can probably kiss your airline career goodbye.
Pass sim and it's off to training in the actual airplane. Here, you will be given one or if lucky 2 flights to put everything together. Again, you will be expected to know what to do. It is not a training event, but rather, and evaluating event. Screw up here and they will be upset.
Pass that and you take a checkride with a company pilot. Pass that and you go off to IOE. Here is where you really start to learn.
With paying passengers in back, you will go to some of the worlds busiest airports or the first time and be expected to know what to do. Yes, they will help you, but not much. IOE isn't easy and some don't pass. If you complete IOE, you are still on probation for a year, which means you can be fired for any reason. Screw up with one disgruntled old captain and you can again kiss your career goodbye.

My point is don't rush into training for a 121 airline until you are sure you're ready.
I'll admit the company I first went to was extreme... most aren't that harsh.

However, it was a breeze after I left there for where I now work. Having been through training and flown the aircaft I knwe exactly what to expect. While the CFIs in class were sweating it out every night, I was watching TV, having a beer whatever. There's no question that it's a lot easire with prior 121 experience.

From CFI to 121

I personally don't know any flight instructors who went directly to the RJ, but I knew plenty of instructors who went from Seminoles to 1900s, Metros and Brasilias. They seemed to do okay. I knew of one who washed out at CONEX. He later got on with Mesa, stayed there, and made it to UPS. I'd bet that by now he's a captain on the DC-8, if he's still there.

The coneheads who do the hiring do it mostly by the numbers, in my .02 opinion. They don't consider potential. Hiring someone with previous 121 or 135 experience is the easy way out. They don't want to be bothered with considering the whole person who is sitting in front of them or that person's resume. There are people out there who might offer more potential to the company than just 121 experience. Give these folks a chance and they could become great pilots and loyal and valuable employees. What? No one cares about value and loyalty anymore?!? I am surprised! :rolleyes:

Of course, previous 121 experience will be an asset because these people know the territory and routine. But, that doesn't mean that others cannot learn it. I once had an old F-105 driver from Viet Nam in my cockpit who was checking me out as a mission pilot for CAP. He told me that everyone was new once. So were these 121 vets.

People deserve a chance. It's hard to get one. If you get one, run with it. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Draginass,
It sounds like you are making a case for regional 121 pilots having some good knowledge, that perhaps a military pilot going to a major might not have. I'm sorry, I couldnt resist. I'm sure that both types of pilots have good training and experience, and a smart interviewer would prefer to have a mix at his airline, for obvious reasons.

I find that the principal difference between pilots with previous 121 time and CFI's is how they appreciate their job. I have worked for four different regionals, and I know how many of them operate. Some CFI's have no idea how good they have it here, and they complain about things that I almost laugh at.

As far as them being better pilots, or having better experience, well, experience is good no matter where you got it. If someone comes here from another 121 outfit, like I did, that means I started there with the same experience that someone coming here from a CFI backround has. Most 121 opearations manuals are very similar, as the main differences I've seen are things like the definition of "marginal," for the requirement to have a second alternate. Most everything else is the same.

Honestly, I prefer someone who came from a cargo backround, as they don't seem to be afraid of things that can't hurt you. But, that's just my preference. I think there are good and bad pilots at all experience levels, and the main difference is the appreciation of the job. Good luck to all.

Yep I agree with just about everything others have said here. I'll add my opinion in that I think another difficult aspect for many people is the crew concept and PF/PNF roles. If you're not used to challenge/response checklists, and especially callouts, etc., it can take a lot of getting used to.

More experience always helps. But that is not to say that those with the most do the best. In my new-hire class at Eagle, we unfortunately had several washouts. All of the guys that washed out had well above the minimums for getting hired. I think if you have 121 experience, you already know, more or less, what to expect and what you have to do to succeed.

CRJflyer...,
Not to chap your buns or anything but can I have some of that stuff you're smoking? Last time I looked in the cockpit of a King Air...whoops, 1900D model, it had nowhere NEAR the number of switches as an RJ. The 1900 is an awesome pilots' plane but let's be realistic here. I'll chip in my 2 cents. I have been told that the Brasilia is a good Tprop to fly prior to turbojets. Don't know if it's true or not but I have had some new captains in the 120 that came from the 1900 scare me bad enough that we chatted on the ground post flight. How far below the glideslope is the hard "GLIDESLOPE" warning....over a dot and a half??? (on the Brasilia).
Now I'll go back to my cheese sandwich. Can't afford ham this week:(

Last edited:
That raises a question for me. Is it common to have a flying crew member do something that puts you on the edge of your seat. This question for those of you 121 pilots.

my 2 cents

As a former 1900 check airman, and a furloughed RJ pilot, I would have to say there is no pat answer for this. I know that the basics are better learned on the 1900, a great pilots airplane and very forgiving. After flying the 1900 for 5 yrs. I thought that I would have no problem moving up to the RJ. Surprise surprise, I had to work very hard, and none of it came easy. Good analogy of drinking from the fire hose. Im not saying a flight instructor couldnt do it , but lets face it times have changed, and I can guarantee you that no one is going to walk anyone through training these days. But nevertheless it sure is worth trying for. Keep it up

Both Caveman and Skydiverdriver, my old nemises on this board, are diggin' my military background. I leave the definition of "diggin'" to the reader.

Without getting into the old military/civilian debate, in my airline class, there was about 60% military and 40% civilian. The screening process must work pretty good, because the failure rate ground school through IOE is less than 2%.

Going from an EFIS Brasilia with FMS/ACARS to a CRJ is no cake walk. When time comes to transition it will be a humbling experience.

Take a look at an RJ cockpit sometime. Personally, I have no idea what half the buttons do! Neither do the captains I fly with, and these guys have an answer to everything turboprop.

Flying is challenging to learn. New airplane, regs, opspecs. Once you figure it out, it is routine unless something breaks. Where in you career you might be when you realize it isn't that challenging anymore is up to you. I think employers realize this. Employers want to hire people that they know that there investment in them will pay off. A person with previous airline experience, solid background, etc knows life as an airline pilot and might not cost the company more than necessary. Every company has their way of doing it.

Latest resources

Back