• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying a RJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
snine 3, I'm a captain at a regional, and from my experience I've been put on the edge of my seat many times. However it's usually not from flying skills. As a general rule all the new guys experienced or not, know how to keep the shiney side up. The problem comes in from the lack of real world operations experience. Flying a 172 around the pattern watching someone else try and kill you does not make for experience flying into LGA behind a 767 with the controllers telling you to maintain high speeds to the marker because of the 757 behind you is 3 miles behind. Eventually the new guys catch up and it all works out. So in my humble opinion once your hired, after all the ops rules and 121 rules are pounded into you the biggest thing is to try and keep the "big picture" in mind and be aware of what is going on around you. Not as easy as it sounds. My .02 cents get real sharp on the guages!! maybe fly some freight, keep an open mind and when your hired you will be fine.

Sine3, I would say it's pretty rare. I've only had 2 guys I've flown with in 2 years scare me. One was a constant problem and the other straightened up immediately after our "glideslope" conversation. That CRM stuff really works!

Dragon,
I wasn't digging on your military backround, as I have great respect for it. I was just a bit suprized that you would say that a regional guy might have an advantage in some ways, which I agree with. Also, your class composition doesn't prove that the failure rate would have been different with a different military/civilian mix. I think it only proves that some of the interviewers were military too.

One question though, why was this moved to the Regional INTERVIEW board? Seems to me that the general board makes more sense for a non-interview post like this. Good luck guys.

The one thing that bothers myself the most is what has happened with Airline hiring in the past 10 years, it has gone from a pilot hiring board to a HR board, to also include a HR people that really have no clue about aviation in general and could possibly not relate to a specific experience in which you answer there question. If I owned a Topless bar and interviewed 3 women for one dancing position and 2 had experience, I more than likely wouldn't even give the one without the background a second look, well, maybe I would. But that's another story. Bottom line is if you fit the profile for what they are looking for and if you have the capability to complete the training process. Some companies will have an interview board of 3, and they may all have to agree, or majority rules. I was shot down by UAL over 2 years ago but was hired and in the pool at Northwest when 9/11 happened and got my, we like you ,but your luck just ran dry letter prior to Thanksgiving; it's aviation and it's all echted in Jello till it happens. Just remember if your thinking about applying to the FAA because it looks good, the FAA is there to prevent an accident that has already happened. Good luck in your endeavors, and just remember, if they call you for an interview, your qualified; just stay away from the table dances during the interview

Jetsnake

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back