Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snine3departure

Questions for current RJ pilots.
Do you feel that pilots with previous RJ experiance are better in the cockpit than the pilots who come from a CFI job for example. Having no 121 experiance, I am just curious. It would seem to me that as long as either pilot makes the most of training a CFI is just as capable as a Rj experianced pilot. The post on the Midway pilots got me woundering. I know how pilot recruitment views this subject but woundering what the pilots who have flown with both feel. Thanks for the input in advance.

I've never flown an RJ, but I can give you some insight on the conversion to 121 flying. Although I've been a heavy pilot my whole career, transitioning into commercial 121 flying wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Getting familiar with your company's ops specs, getting familiar with various airports, company flying procedures, etc. In reality it takes about a year to get comfortable flying part 121 or even for a new company. Previous part 121 experience makes it a lot easier to transition because you already understand the lingo and basics. Keep in mind that the school training and even IOE is really just the starter. The real learning comes in that first 6 months on the line.

I understand where you are coming from but wouldn't learning a different companies policy be the same as learning their policy with no other companies policy background? Not sure if that makes sense. Are pilots truely better just because they have flown for a previous 121 carrier? If you ask me as long as the mins are met shouldn't more weight be put on the applicants background and personnality etc.

The whole deal behind having previous 121 exp. is that it shows that an applicant is capable of getting through a 121 Groundschool. Apparently there are some that are uncapable of it!

I think the type of flying your doing is as or more important than how many hours one has. Granted a CFI always has to start somewhere in the airline industry, but i have a feeling that even though I just meet Comairs req. total time wise, my 300+ hours in a Beech1900D as an F.O. will make the transition to a CRJ much easier than if I was fresh from instructing. Just my opinion though.

Don't you think that a college degree and failed check rides etc. would give the airline an idea of how they will do in ground school? I guess it is the old saying though... You need experiance to get the job but without the job how do you get experiance? I know things will get better as hiring picks up but sure sucks now for us measly little flight instructors.:)

It's all a matter of competition. Put yourself in the place of the HR guy. You've got two people who both interviewed well, have great work histories . . . . only one has previous experience in exactly the job you're going to put them into and the other doesn't. If you can only pick one, I'll bet it'll be the one with the part 121 experience.

And there's the key . . . they're not just picking "one." There are lots of instructors that get hired, so don't get yourself down. Right now the hiring situation is bad, but hold tight, it'll change. AE was hiring guys with less than 1000 total and 300 multi before the downturn.

You can imagine the competition for the majors right now with FEDEX and SWA being the only ones hiring, so you're not alone by a long shot.

Throttle back to endurance AOA and wait for the weather to break. Good luck.

As a former CFI myself, with 2000 TT and 1500 dual given as a CFI when I was hired by a 121 airline 11 years, I can tell you that excellent basic flying skills, especially instrument skills, are probably the most important aspects to becoming a successful airline pilot. The next most important attribute is the ability to work effectively within a team environment.

That said, however, a person who comes into an airline with previous 121 experience is initially (maybe for the first year to year and a half) a much better first officer for an airline and his captains than someone who has had no 121 experience, especially one with no high performance time. There are a couple of major reasons for this.

First, an airline's Ops Specs govern how the airline shall be operated. While it may be true that each individual airline may have slightly different procedures for accomplishing tasks, each airline's Ops Specs are almost identical. The reason for this is that the Feds are the ones who produce a generic Ops Spec. This Ops Spec is then modified slightly to suit the individual airline. For most intents and purposes though, the Ops Specs are basically identical. Therefore a pilot with previous 121 experience has had an experience that will transfer very readily to a new airline. Additionally, he has had experience in the environment dealing with weather. He has probably flown in weather that would ground a light plane, which has given him valuable insight that he brings to his new airline. He has experience with radar - something most GA aircraft do not have and a piece of equipment that takes a while to become proficient at using and interpreting.

Secondly, aside from basic airmanship, airline flying is very different from other types of flying, especially GA. The aircraft are at a performance level that is an order of magnitude higher than most any GA aircraft, aside from corporate jets. Climb at 250 and 2000 to 4000 feet per minute to 10,000', then transition to 300 or so Knots indicated on up to the flight levels. Things happen fast. Today’s RJ's are all equipped with state of the art glass cockpits and FMS's that are complex pieces of equipment. These take a while to master.

So while the GA pilot with no high performance time will eventually catch up to his more experienced classmate with previous 121 time, initially he will have his hands full. He will probably have his hands full for at least six months before he starts to become comfortable with being an airline pilot in a jet. In the mean time the captain will need to keep a more cautious eye on his new FO.

Having flown with FO's with many different experience levels, I can tell you that the pilots who come into the cockpit with previous 121 experience generally have a much easier time adapting to their new airline than those without 121 experience, especially those who have only GA time. Almost all figure it out eventually, though, and become EXCELLENT airline pilots.;)

I appreciate the info, but I still have to wounder a little. I am flying airplanes with approach speeds of 140, nearly the same as most regionals. Also equipped with radar, known ice capable, flight director etc. Though my G.A. aircraft may not go as high, critical phases of flight are nearly the same. I may not totally know the rules of 121 but can sure learn them. As far as flying, I feel my previous experiance has allowed me to make a easy transition. Am I wrong? Any feedback would be great.

snine3departure,
No I don't think your wrong at all.... I guess when it comes down to it it mainly depends on the person. When I went from flying light twins to a Beech 1900D I really didn't have much trouble. Granted a Beech isn't as high performance as a CRJ but there are more "buttons" to play with and no autopilot. The only thing is that HR reps. don't have any idea of how good of a pilot you are. They ask about "your best qualities,stressful times in a cockpit, ever have any emergencies?" but they weren't there and can't tell that you can fly the hell out of an airplane.

The whole college degree thing depends on the person also. I do not have a college degree. I have been in college ever since I left high school though.. 3 years full time and 3 years mainly part time. Because of financial reasons and a rough first year at a party school I have changed majors 3 times( also 3 different universities) and still have atleast 60 credits to go for a 4 year degree. I'm 1 class away froma an associates but because of a new job at Comair I doubt I'll be able to take that class, and its not offered online.

However I have been on the Dean's list numurous times, both at Riddle and at my current two year school. I have pulled a 4.0 GPA out of my hat. And recently, with a current airline job leaving me little time for school work, I still am able to pull atleast a 3.0 every semester, granted it is only 2 classes a semester. A person who doesn't know me could say that I'm 24 without even an associates what have I been doing? Partying all the time? But thats not the case I've just had trouble stringing majors together. So every interview I go into I make sure I bring my college transcripts in along with those Dean's List certificates. It seems to have done alright for me so far. (3 outta 5 successful interviews.) I know that if I ever want to to go to a major I'll need a 4 year most likely. But the way things are in the industry I still have time for that down the road. So I don't think that our job should be solely based on a graduation certificate (though I am biased on that!)

Daginass posted:

"It's all a matter of competition. Put yourself in the place of the HR guy. You've got two people who both interviewed well, have great work histories . . . . only one has previous experience in exactly the job you're going to put them into and the other doesn't. If you can only pick one, I'll bet it'll be the one with the part 121 experience."

Why then do HR folks at majors pick single engine fighter guys over heavy transport pilots and military guys over 121 regional jet Captains? Using your logic, which I agree with BTW, the regional jet Captain should get the nod. We all know they don't.

Latest resources

Back