Fly past age 60, WHY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All great points about the freeloading Foxhunter -

My question is: IF flying beyond age 60 isn't about safety then why does the F/O have to be less than 60??

Last edited:
Baby Cakes said:
Earning 6 digits, getting lots of time off, staying away from the wife, hanging out with good people, having fun flying to a fun location, working in a 600mph office... I can see why someone would want to stay past 60!

LOL...exactly...my trips are paid vacations...usually fun :)

Clear&aMillion said:
But they don't like you.

See #1 above.

And a pension from another company on top of that.

That's why the union that represents you is working so hard to reduce those premiums.

When you die, you don't enjoy life insurance.

Such a tough decision, but I can understand your angst. When faced with a decision of whether to stay in ALPA or leave, you left. Bad decision. Given your poor track record, you're understandably nervous.

Hmm? A new member! Post #1. Do you serve on the MEC, or are you just one of the mindless followers? I admire your courage, not, but that is the way you little boys do business. At least Sandman2122 is just a follower and not responsible for his thoughts and actions. :(

If you don't like me, don't fly with me. :)

ALPA does not represent retired pilots, just ask the guys retired from UAL or DAL. ALPA is a weak ineffective union unable to protect pensions, working conditions, or wages. I case you have not noticed the current ALPA proposal is not close to what was expected after ALPA was voted in, but this is a subject for another thread.

Last edited:
I will retire at 55. That's my goal.

It's not only what you make, it's what you spend and what you save.

There are too many powerful people who want you to fly until you drop and then have nothing. I won't let them win.

For myself and my family.

Why fly past 60?

1. I can't manage money worth a $hit.

2. I get absolutely no respect from anyone in my private life. I think I get some at my job, but really don't.

3. I have absolutely no life. I have to go to work for enjoyment.

4. I don't have a wife (ran her off), and if I do, we can't stand each other.

I can think of others. I won't have my 25 years when I retire either, but I save for retirement and don't want to work after 60. If you idiots think work is a vacation, you really have problems.

My question is: IF flying beyond age 60 isn't about safety then why does the F/O have to be less than 60??

Good question. I investigate aircraft accidents for one of my jobs. You would be amazed how many general aviation accidents involve pilots over 60. I don't have any doubt that over age 60 pilots account for more than their share of the total GA accidents.

Obviously age 60 is a somewhat arbitrary number - as would be 65 or 63. We have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:
furloughed dude said:
Why fly past 60?

1. I can't manage money worth a $hit.

2. I get absolutely no respect from anyone in my private life. I think I get some at my job, but really don't.

3. I have absolutely no life. I have to go to work for enjoyment.

4. I don't have a wife (ran her off), and if I do, we can't stand each other.

I can think of others. I won't have my 25 years when I retire either, but I save for retirement and don't want to work after 60. If you idiots think work is a vacation, you really have problems.

Amen

Cept for I'm betting you prob. got a little mil retirement commin ur way to augment things.

The funny thing about this is 10 years ago the people ringing the bell for this were probably not as concerned. Now the end is near, the pension is gone, and the saving never happened.

An awful lot of people under 40 in this biz never had the high salaries (or the opportunities to invest or save large portions of that) or the A/B funds promised. Now after many who are approaching 60 have benefited from the policy (ie advancement due to guys retiring) they want to further benefit. (Typical boomer me, me, me!)This rule has been in place since before you guys started. We were all hired with the knowledge that this was the case now its unfair?!

Why work past age 60? Because I failed to prepare for what I knew was comming, but was too short sighted to see.

Aviation isn't the only industry has age limits (look at many govn't jobs).

Last edited:
Diva,

How bout ATC controllers? Do you want more?

The simple fact is that with age there is a degradation in performance. Is it 60? Is it 62? 65? 90?

You have to draw the line somewhere. We all know AMEs that give very easy physicals. It wouldn't be too difficult for someone 90 years old that could pass his class I physical.

The bottom line is that the old fogeys that didn't take care of their retirement now want more time to save for their retirement. They took full advantage of the age 60 policy throughout their career. Now they want to extend their careers because they couldn't take care of their retirement. Sorry, I am not too sympathetic to their cause when there are thousands of young guys with families that are on furlough. These guys should be ashamed of themselves....

Not the same!

How bout ATC controllers? Do you want more?

The simple fact is that with age there is a degradation in performance. Is it 60? Is it 62? 65? 90?

Furloughed, I know you are bitter about the whole thing, and I would be to if I were in your shoes. The difference between the Gov jobs age requirements and the 121 age requirements are two different things. The Gov mandates Law enforcement, ATC, Mil, etc because there is a guaranteed pension that is provided and absolute physical limits. Some of these don't pay into SS (Mil does) and will not get SS payments. As you know the airlines provided their own retirements (mistake) with no real guarantee of pensions for life. The original reason for the age requirement was based on no definitive data. After numerous years with this rule in place, we still have no definitive data. It has alway been nothing more than age discrimination and now individuals want it rescinded not because of medical issues, but personal needs. This rule wont effect me for another 15 years, and it will slow advancement down for a couple of years, but things will get back to normal very quickly.

Because that is what the ICAO standard is. Our rules will mirror these standards.

Latest resources

Back