Fly past age 60, WHY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FoxHunter

There a a lot of reasons to continue past age 60.

The obvious are the loss of a pension, but even with a solid pension there are other reasons to continue.

Mine are:

1) I like going to work, like the job.
2) I like working where I work.
3) I will have only 19 years credit at age 60 towards my max 25 years in my pension.
4) My health insurance cost me $80 a month now, $530 a month after retirement.
5) I keep my company paid life insurance.
6) When I retire I have to make a selection of how I receive my pension. The norm is a 50% Survivor Benefit. My wife will get 50% of my pension for her life if I die after retirement. This benefit reduces my pension by about 13%. If my wife dies the day after I retire, my pension is reduced for the rest of my life. If still working and the doctor tells me that I have 6 months to live I can retire and opt for the 100% survivor option so my wife will get 100% of my pension for life.

Last edited:
I imagine losing your retirement might be a good reason. Many folks who were on track to retire at 60 now have to find another job at 60 to make up for the loss. Too many ex wives might be another.

willing, able and a desire....what other reasons does one need. it should be an individual's choice. not a gov't or union mandate. pass a physical and fly your a** off, if you like. :)

If I do stay past 60, it will be mainly for reason #1, the enjoyment of flying. :) Even if I retire, I don't plan to quit flying.

Off kilter just a little

I'm over 60 so I'm watching this from the sideleines, but I keep hearing about the physical aspects of this issue and started reflecting back on what I can recall regarding guys dropping dead prior to age 60. Most of these men were in their mid forties. Dropped dead from heart attacks, some while on duty, some while at the golf course. None of them were approaching the age of 60 when this happened and guess what, none of these deaths cause an accident. A tragic scene to be sure, but nothing tragic beyond their own deaths. The only case that I can recall that a death while on duty was a "possible" contributing factor in an accident where a Flying Tigers Constellation crashed during an approach to KBUR in about 1962. The Capt's heart was found to be damaged for the lack of a better discription. It did not help of course that the F/O who was flying had padded his log book significantly and thus undermind the whole accident investigation.

So if anyone can point to a factual incident or accident where a medical condition of a pilot over say the age of 55 was caused by a medical condition, please step up and show us all. BTW, the Captain in the FTL accident discribed in the above accident, was in his late forties as I recall.

one of my buddys pulled a Quantas FO out of a pool he was doing laps in on a LAX ron about 10 yrs ago. He was about 37 and "dead as a door nail".

Over 60

As another pilot over 60 I have to admit things have changed for me. I have gone from a long time 121 job back to 135/91 and there were some "getting use to" things. I miss FANS, CPDL and advanced FMS/MCDU, but Pro Line 21(although very basic) is not that bad. I have been to Flight Safety on 2 new planes. I did not have to take an online course to learn how to get ice and coffee.

If 65 were an option would I have stayed? Not if there was a great 91 gig that I could have gone to.

My first flying lessons were from an 86 year old and he was still flying everyday.

Remember when the airlines would not consider anyone over 32? Rules have changed, just like my retirement.

Good luck to all.

See ya at 30W next week!!

Mobie

Earning 6 digits, getting lots of time off, staying away from the wife, hanging out with good people, having fun flying to a fun location, working in a 600mph office... I can see why someone would want to stay past 60!

FoxHunter said:
There a a lot of reasons to continue past age 60.

The obvious are the loss of a pension, but even with a solid pension there are other reasons to continue.

Mine are:

1) I like going to work, like the job.
But they don't like you.

FoxHunter said:
2) I like working where I work.
See #1 above.

FoxHunter said:
3) I will have only 19 years credit at age 60 towards my max 25 years in my pension.
And a pension from another company on top of that.

FoxHunter said:
4) My health insurance cost me $80 a month now, $530 a month after retirement.
That's why the union that represents you is working so hard to reduce those premiums.

FoxHunter said:
5) I keep my company paid life insurance.
When you die, you don't enjoy life insurance.

FoxHunter said:
6) When I retire I have to make a selection of how I receive my pension. The norm is a 50% Survivor Benefit. My wife will get 50% of my pension for her life if I die after retirement. This benefit reduces my pension by about 13%. If my wife dies the day after I retire, my pension is reduced for the rest of my life. If still working and the doctor tells me that I have 6 months to live I can retire and opt for the 100% survivor option so my wife will get 100% of my pension for life.
Such a tough decision, but I can understand your angst. When faced with a decision of whether to stay in ALPA or leave, you left. Bad decision. Given your poor track record, you're understandably nervous.

Latest resources

Back