• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well done Roy!

Mike

Hows it going?!

BA737FO,

How has it gone after getting to the States? Everything settled down? Has it been fun?

All is well

Hi Jet Deep

Thanks for your enquiry.It has been tough, but I am happy to say that we are very happy here in Orlando, Florida where we have settled. My son is in a great school and he has already picked up an American accent. My wife loves it here - she is expecting our second child (our first US citizen) in April. How did that happen- must be the water?:D

I successfully completed my FAA ATP and B737 type rating in July - Thanks indeed to Chase and his wonderful family for accommodating us in their home, while I was at Higher Power Aviation. I then went to FSI in Wichita for recurrency training on the Caravan, did the SEL add on for my new ATP and commenced flying a brand new van in Orlando.

I have met many magnificent people in my new home, the USA and have no regrets. The toughest part has been leaving behind the right seat of a B737 to go to a van, after working hard to get there in the first place. But, its a small price to pay to realise the privilege of being invited to become part of the BEST country in the whole world. In a way, flying the van has had the advantage of being able to visit many smaller airports and become more intimately acquainted with US airspace. The destinations have been pretty good too - all over the islands of the Bahamas, Cancun, New Orleans...to name a few. My employers have been great and have even taken me marlin fishing on their 65 ft Viking yacht. I don't fly often, but at least I have a job that allows me to keep current. The downtime has meant quality time with my son and has been a nice transistion period to slowly learn the lie of the land. Christmas and Halloween were incredible.

To summarise then, still flying a van, but confident that the future will be bright. No regrets. All good things come to those who wait.
HAPPY FLYING TO YOU ALL!:)

Accents? I didn't know we Americans had accents. Well...maybe people from Georgia.

Seriously, Welcome aboard!

Use some more z's and nobody will know where you are from. Yeah, Americans have mangled the Queen's spoken English AND spelling.:)

Hou gaan dit Boet? Ek is a Suid Afrikaaner/ American. Just to let everyone know what that is all about. I said Hi to Ba737FO in our home language. But to continue I have been living here for 11 years and presently flying B747-400. I am in the SWA pool and swimming, hoping for a call this time next year. I became a US citizen 8 years ago and very happy here. My advise is hang on in SA for just a little bit, until the economy picks up and we know what is going on in Iraq, ( Jobs will bounce back after that.) Then come over before you get cold feet in a year or two. I know how you feel about the USA as I felt that way from the first time I come over here in 82.
Alles van die beste.

Congrats!

..On the Green Card.

My advice:

Keep flying the 737.

Save money.

Come here and open a Hot Dog stand!

You will make huge amounts of cash, live well, retire young and retain your self-respect AND your family!

OR:

Continue down the path of aviation and live a life similar to, but harder than, most Heroin addicts....

And this is from a Man who has a led a charmed life (so far) "avianationally" speaking!

YKW

If I were in your seat, I would stay there, building quality time. OK, it's not PIC but I suspect you earn a decent living. Once you meet the SWA pilot applicant minimums they will eventually interview you. When the call comes, if you continue to convey the sincerity and enthusiasm of your first post, they will be genuinely impressed.

Currently in Europe, (originally from the US ) I have passed the SWA interview/board.

I'll say a prayer that you will choose THE RIGHT THING. I sincerely understand your dilemma.

Latest resources

Back