Fly B737-200 in SA or CE208 in USA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nightrider,

Since we are not allowed to fly for British Airways or most other carriers around the world.

I noticed the crap airplanes you listed under your profile probably can't go across any pond, so most likely you are not aware of Americans flying for, just to mention a few airlines like Cathay, JAL, Korean, EVA, China Airlines, Dragon Air, Singapore, All Nippon, Saudi, Emirates, Crossair, Asiana, Air Hong Kong (CX).

Lately I heard a rumor, and I stress RUMOR, that unless you are a US Born Natural Citizen, you cannot fly any aircraft 12,500 pounds or greater. Further you cannot train on such an aircraft either. Meaning, Green card holders and Foreign pilots that have even gained US citizenship are not eligable to fly for the airlines. Supposidly this was mandated by the US Dept. of Justice as a "new jerk" reaction to Sept. 11. Maybe I'm dead wrong, and I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this for me. I have some friends that are green card holders that are being told they can't be hired due to this and they are quite a bit nervous as you could well imagine.

Thanks !

Just a couple of other issues to think about!

Since you are currently a US resident (i.e. green card holder) you may be liable for US federal income tax on any worldwide income. You should find out if there is a reciprocal tax agreement between the US and SA. Also, I think you may lose “resident status” if you do not actually reside in the US a certain number of days in a year?

There was initially a problem with training in aircraft over 12,500 for non-citizens, not sure but I think you can now get training with some additional paperwork and background checks.

If your long term goal is to live and work in the US you might not have a choice but to move to the US now.

Good luck with your decision.

mbd

BA737FO, Hope you dont mind me entering this little debate of yours. Seems you've got your questions answered..

I'm in a similar situation. I can go over to the states from India next year, the major difference is i'm already a Captain in the 73 after 5 years of doing time in the airline. I've got 1000 pic in the 73 and 3000 sic in the 73 prior to that. It took a good amount of struggle to get my 4th stripe. Soo...

I'm really confused whether I should go ahead and move?! It seems I'll have to restart my career all over again from the bottom, and from what people have said it looks like itll take 10 years to get back to left seat in the majors. Anyone have any views on this? Any suggestions from those who have done this before?

Gracias in advance!

JetDeep,

Mu recommendation is to keep flying where you are. Jobs are scarce here. As far as the "majors" go, only Southwest and FedEx are hiring right now. And yes, assuming you could get hired...the competition is VERY keen....you would have to start at the bottom. That's just how it is here. And upgrades are running at LEAST 5 years. In fact, at the big 5--American, United, Delta, Northwest and Continental, it might be 5 years before they hire again. First, all the furloughees must be recalled. I would expect that would be the end of 2003, at the earliest.

Stay where you are and re-evaluate things in a year or two. Now would not be a smart time to give up what you have.

Welcome to the USA BAPilot

Dear SA Pilot,
I've worked my way up the ratings chain, much the same way you did, and I did work as a dispatcher for several foreign airlines in the 1990s. No, Iberia wouldn't hire me, Aeromexico wouldn't accept a "Gringo" and Aerolineas Argentinas and TACA offered me first or Business Class. However, my granddad jumped off a freighter in NY harbor one day, my mom came across on a clipper ship ( a Pan American Clipper) and my wife also CHOSE to make this country her own. So I say, get your 737 time, come on over, and join the rest of us in making this the great country it is. You might want to consider applying for other National carriers, such as AirTran, Frontier, or even JetBlue (if you don't mind flying a Scarebus) Hope to see you in the cockpit one day with your new US passport. Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the US speedbird jockey.

I am myself an alien resident.

I wanted to reply Lucky's post. I have been flying in the Us for about three years and after september 11 i got interviewed by the FBI in october. Apart from that little chat with a very nice and friendly person, that was it. It is true that before you receive training or recurrent (MTOW >12500 lbs) the organization or airline sends you a form with some questions about your recent history. This form is sent back to them, they evaluate your profile and you go do your training. As for the everyday job, i come in an out of the US just like before 9-11. The only noticeable difference is when you airline from outside the US, the INS controllers talk to you in a separate room.

Good luck

To all:

ba737fo has been deposited at my doorstep after lengthy coordination. To all interested, he & family are doing fine, ready to start training in the US & then off to the new job in FL. The first step is the toughest but he has taken it. To those who have supported his decision he has appreciated all your comments of support. The situation from talking to his entire family is one NONE of us would want to go through & while the decision to leave family & friends behind would be difficult, it pales in comparison to what it would be like to live under the conditions he has described to me in the short time he has been here. It is horrid. I'm sure he will do well.

cheers,

Latest resources

Back