Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hikoushi

AAAAAAARGGGH!!!!
I am just curious if this is only a couple of isolated incidents, or if this is something not uncommon to disgusting slobs in all parts of the world. Flying longer legs (4-5 hours on up to long haul). Commonly on the way back from the bunk, or alternatively on a last restroom break, many of us do a little quick "freshening up", yes? This is good, and as it should be.

HOWEVER, have you ever had the pilot sitting next to you, captain or copilot, whip out a container of dental floss and start SHAMELESSLY going for it right there next to you in the seat? Seen pieces of unidentifiable meat fly at great velocity in all directions, impacting the center ECAM / EICAS display with a splat? Perhaps they are even kind enough to preface this display with a "Hey, mind if I floss? Thanks".

No kidding. Twice so far in the last 6 months. Am I just really lucky or is this level of cluelessness a common problem?

Discuss.

I've only seen one pilot floss. He would also clip his fingernails and keep his mic hot for the sound effects he made when eating and slurping his coffee.

I have flossed and have seen many people floss on the flight deck. I'm not talking about a dental hygienist work over here, just a quick get the piece of chicken out from the two molars floss. Farting and burping is my pet peeve.

I am just curious if this is only a couple of isolated incidents, or if this is something not uncommon to disgusting slobs in all parts of the world. Flying longer legs (4-5 hours on up to long haul). Commonly on the way back from the bunk, or alternatively on a last restroom break, many of us do a little quick "freshening up", yes? This is good, and as it should be.

HOWEVER, have you ever had the pilot sitting next to you, captain or copilot, whip out a container of dental floss and start SHAMELESSLY going for it right there next to you in the seat? Seen pieces of unidentifiable meat fly at great velocity in all directions, impacting the center ECAM / EICAS display with a splat? Perhaps they are even kind enough to preface this display with a "Hey, mind if I floss? Thanks".

No kidding. Twice so far in the last 6 months. Am I just really lucky or is this level of cluelessness a common problem?

Discuss.

Well you got two choices... One is to sit there and not say anything. The second is to open your month and speak up.

If you are on a 4 hour flight then say something or suck it up. Coming on here and complaining about it sure isn't going to help.

I have a solution however. I had a few Crew Members that would do nasty stuff like pick on sores or bite there nails continuously. I explained how gross it was and told them when I get to the Hotel today I'm going to Bed Bath and Beyond to by a shower Rod and Curtain. When they asked why..... I'd explain to them that I'd be installing it in the cockpit tomorrow so I wouldn't have to witness that nasty stuff. Make sure to use a visual of your arm closing the curtain on them with the ziiiiiiiiipppppp sound effect!!! Both times I said it........ Worked like a charm.. No more nasty stuff the rest of the trip.

That is brilliant. "This is a curtain, and I'm closing you out!!"

In both cases I said something to the effect of "Are you kidding me? No disrespect buddy, but that is disgusting. How about you do that in the lav?". They both did so and were cool about it but seemed kind of surprised that I called them out. The 2 incidents were with 2 different people I may add, one a captain and one an RO. Hence the question is not "what should I do" but just a curious "do people really do this s#!t"?

Next time I will just make a call to the cabin when Buddy is deep into it, and tell the lead that "he needs to go to the restroom and finish up the floss he started. I will need to go afterwards to clean the pieces of mystery meat off my face that he has so far sent flying around". I will "accidentally" press the "ALL" call button instead of the "FWD" button. That way the whole damn crew gets to hear.

Will the rest of the flight be tense? Probably. Would it be worth it? Pricelessly.

Last edited:
That is brilliant. "This is a curtain, and I'm closing you out!!"

In both cases I said something to the effect of "Are you kidding me? No disrespect buddy, but that is disgusting. How about you do that in the lav?". They both did so and were cool about it but seemed kind of surprised that I called them out. The 2 incidents were with 2 different people I may add, one a captain and one an RO. Hence the question is not "what should I do" but just a curious "do people really do this s#!t"?

Next time I will just make a call to the cabin when Buddy is deep into it, and tell the lead that "he needs to go to the restroom and finish up the floss he started. I will need to go afterwards to clean the pieces of mystery meat off my face that he has so far sent flying around". I will "accidentally" press the "ALL" call button instead of the "FWD" button. That way the whole damn crew gets to hear.

Will the rest of the flight be tense? Probably. Would it be worth it? Pricelessly.

LOL! Right.... The nastiest crap I saw was when I was deadheading. No lie now this business guy pulls off his loafers and socks. Reaches in his bag and pulls out nail clippers and trims his toe nails!! They were so dry that each time it made a loud sound and a piece of nail would go shooting through the cabin.
Had I not been in uniform I would've said something..... However I already had it in my mind that if a nail clipping landed on me I wouldn't care what I was wearing at that point.
But the mindset of someone to do that!!! Incredible!!! Passengers were looking at him but not saying anything. I was almost wishing a piece of nail would land on me!!! The sound and that dudes jacked up feet will be burned in my memory forever!!!

Last edited:
Don't do anything in the cockpit where I'm collateral damage due to shrapnel. I don't want your fingernails or left over dinner morsels anywhere near me.

Well, I did have a shapely young flight attendant show me her butt floss on the flight deck once. Can't say I minded. [emoji1]

Latest resources

Back