• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FLOPS in AIN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmmm.... I thought status quo existed while the first contract was being negotiated. Guess I was wrong.

Good luck guys. Glad I am not there any more.

status quo

Only when it works to their (mgmt) advantage. :smash:

I don't know if it was legally wrong, but it definitely is morally! When they need to be holding out a carrot they grabbed a bigger stick....:mad: like that's going to raise morale and make the pilots more productive.....:rolleyes: Low morale has been proven to drag productivity right down with it.

I don't think they'd play that card unless they felt they had to. Dig in your heels and stand your ground! Those who have done a big remodeling project will tell you that it usually looks worse when you're tearing down the old broken part. Demolition can be messy and dirty but what you rebuild will be stronger and worth the work.
Hang in there!
NJW

One could do this, but then you would be subject to termination for violating the company's "No Recording Policy":
No Recording Policy
Employees are prohibited from utilizing audio or video recording equipment (including cell phones for such purpose) on Company property or when Company business is being discussed, except where such audio or video equipment is provided by the Company and then only for purposes the Company has authorized. Still photography of aircraft, flight equipment and company premises, except as a background for photos of employees, requires management approval and then can be used only for the approved purpose. As with any other Company policy, violating this policy could result in disciplinary action, including termination.
There's a whole lotta "CYA" goin' on...
The way to CYA in this instance: when you call in to your ACP about the mx discrepancy, volunteer to send them a pic from your camera phone, so they can "get a better idea what you're talking about." Once they agree, you're covered.

Good idea! :)

You legal types appear to have missed the loophole here. It says still
photography is prohibited. Put your digital camera into movie mode, and you're covered. In fact, you can even narrate what you're shooting. But that's not why I wrote.

What gets my attn here is the claim that mgmt is threatening those who write up mx discrepancies. I had this same problem with a former employer. When they retaliated, I hired a lawyer. They promptly backed down.

NJW, you are a very assertive advocate who spends far too much time on this board. I wish you would direct some effort to the FAA problem that exists. If a company is threatening pilots on safety issues, then the FAA should be over them like green chile over a burrito! That does not happen for political reasons.

That is where you (and the rest of you) can help the thousands of pilots working for unscrupulous operators. Unions are fine for the companies that deserve them, but this is a regulatory/ enforcement problem. You appear to have the verve to change that. I would be hoo-rah for you if you undertook that effort. Law and regs trump union contracts!

BTW Flops guys, google "Aviation Whistleblower Act." It might be of great use in that situation.

Last edited:
#136 of the policy manual:
Asking for and getting pictures of a discrepancy (such as a birdstrike or other damage) many times is beneficial to the company because we can sometimes have a better understanding of what we are dealing with. In most cases our pilots are helpful when asked to do so and we are grateful for it.​

SG​

The E True Hollywood Story behind the Recordation Policy is a bit humerous though...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ed...:) I think I'll leave the FAA Reg/Safety battle for the pilots as they are in a better position to fight that. I don't have access to that type of info like they do. I will promise though, that if there is ever such a situation at NJA that my husband tells me we should fight--I will. In the meantime, I think pilots can improve their working conditions by having the clout of the Union to back them up, and by working with the company on establishing and/or using the ASAP program. I know they're making progress on that at NJA. It's the right thing to do and the pilots should help foster its success by correctly following the process.

It was nice of you to post the info about the Aviation Whistleblower Act. That's a good example of pilots in the industry and/or on the board working together.
Regards,
NJW

Latest resources

Back