Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
westwind said:
Thanks 414Flyer. Are you still in Taos?

yeah, I am still in the Taos area, but looking pretty hard for a job, so not sure how much longer I will be here.

Taos, eh? When I lived in Los Alamos, I knew a guy who said he had flown the Taos Box under the bridge some years back. Said he did it just at the crack of dawn or something like that. Now, that would be a kick!

I was crossing the Otowi bridge on NM502 over the Rio Grande once and had a cub come blasting out of the White Rock canyon right over me. Oh what fun you can have in the middle of nowhere!!

Ahh, getting my PPL out of LAM sure was fun, though! FL flatlands and X-winds were nothing compared to flying off the high mesas!

There is an ample amount of old military scrap aluminum littered along the canyon walls in the Taos Box Canyon. Ouch!
If you can find it, there is a video called "The Arch Flying Cowboy" about a guy (Tim Martin) out of Moab, Utah that used to fly through the arches up there. The video also shows him flying under Dewey Bridge (about 25' high) and through Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River. Very entertaining!

BushwickBill said:
I’m trying to find a video of the new Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) cameras in action. .

i'll be glad to make you a video on my next flight if you send me 99.99 in advance. :)

westwind said:
There is an ample amount of old military scrap aluminum littered along the canyon walls in the Taos Box Canyon. Ouch!
If you can find it, there is a video called "The Arch Flying Cowboy" about a guy (Tim Martin) out of Moab, Utah that used to fly through the arches up there. The video also shows him flying under Dewey Bridge (about 25' high) and through Westwater Canyon on the Colorado River. Very entertaining!

Are those plane crashes you are referring to? I had not heard about those, can you tell me more? I know of B-24 wreckage on top of a mountain nearby.

That must be the same person on the cover of Southwest Aviator a couple years back, flying thru arches in utah in a cessna

Yeah, old plane crash sites that can be seen while kayaking or rafting The Box. I will try and chase down some additional info for ya.
"The Arch Flying Cowboy" was featured in "Southwest Aviator" awhile back. It looks like the magazine has recently gone out of business:( or is possibly undergoing a reorganization.

Latest resources

Back