Flight Time by Flight Conditions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JDREsquire1224

I am currently employed by a 121 operator, but have not been tracking instrument time nor do I distinguish day time from night time. How critical is this in the application process if I apply elsewhere? Thanks for any info. I've seen on airlineapps.com that they want a complete breakdown of flight time by flight conditions, and find this rather difficult.

Instrument flight time is really not worth logging in my opinion. You're on an instrument flight plan, and I find it a little difficult to fly that RNAV departure by looking out the window. See if you can reconstruct the night aspect, however. That may be worth going back over.

Take your best realistic guess on your stats. Just like the 8710 form when applying for a new certificate. It's too overwhelming to add up time that you normally don't keep track of. Your 121 employer doesn't have you flight time records? My 135 employer does. I try to due my logbook twice a month.

I keep rough track of it...(ummm....were there clouds today and ummm....did I fly through any of em....umm....) but the rule of thumb is about 5-10% of your flight time is IMC. I do keep track of how many instrument approaches and holding procedures just for GA.

VV

Hope this helps.

Instrument flight time is really not worth logging in my opinion....
I log every tenth of IMC that I can, some fractional company's (NetJets) want you to have 250 hrs of that stuff. You never know when you'll be looking for a new job.
FDAH

JDREsquire1224 said:
I am currently employed by a 121 operator, but have not been tracking instrument time nor do I distinguish day time from night time. How critical is this in the application process if I apply elsewhere? Thanks for any info. I've seen on airlineapps.com that they want a complete breakdown of flight time by flight conditions, and find this rather difficult.

Actually, you are required to log the conditions of flight if it is required to achieve a certificate or rating. If you interview elsewhere, chances are they will want to see those columns logged. You should try to pay attention to exactly how much time you are accruing. A rough estimate is not a bad thing, of course. And yes, you can log conditions of flight as the non-flying pilot.

(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:
(3) Conditions of flight—
(i) Day or night.
(ii) Actual instrument.
(iii) Simulated instrument conditions in flight, a flight simulator, or a flight training device.

Last edited:
Hi!

If u want another job, virtually EVERY flying organization will ask for your Actual Instrument Time. They may also ask for your simulated instrument time and simulator time.

Many flying organizations also want to know how much Night Time you have.

It is 100x easier to fill out applications using an electronic logbook. I would recommend an electronic logbook of some type to EVERY pilot now flying that may want a different job at some point in the future.

Good Luck!
cliff
YIP

Time to start. Get LogbookPro's APDL PDA program. Log time in after every leg you fly. APDL Imports to a laptop or desktop.

Actual instrument time should be approximately 10% of your Total Time.

If your looking for aviation work, the looks of your logbook and it's entries are a reflection of you--your charictar, and part of the picture a potential employer takes of you when considering you for a flight officer position.

A friend of mine interviewed at NWA back in the mid 1990's. He had failed to keep his logbook up to date. In a rush to update it, he made single total monthly entries for each calender month. NWA interviewers pushed it back across the table to him and said it was unacceptable to them. Rejected.

Another friend of mine interviewed during the same time and kept his log book electronically on an Apple Claris Spread sheet that he had written. NWA interviewers asked him specifics about his flight time. He apologized, excused himself and pulled out is Apple Powerbook and keyed a few entries and pulled up exact numbers. Intrigued by this geekish pilot, the Interviewers asked him other specific flight time questions to which my friend made a few more key strokes and produced the information. In minutes he had the interview board around him and his laptop, fawning over his program. He was hired on the spot.

Think about it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back