Flight Service Stations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tracearabians

I would just like to know has anyone, other than me, noticed any problems with flight service since they contracted out . ?

Yeah, it seems like you wait on hold a lot longer or get routed through another call center. I file with DUAT, get WX with WSI, and follow it up with a briefing from flight service. I think from now on Im just going to print my wx from DAUT, and forget the briefing. If the wx is bad its always nice to have another human give you a second opinion though.

Yes! I haven't been able to get through for a few weeks now. I have given up. Maybe in six months to a year they will get their act together.
They need to know though how dissatisfied we are with them.

Do we really need them anyway? They tell me not to fly when it's severe clear with a single pop up 30 miles away on an August afternoon. Capitalism works. I only call them as a formality when I don't have a computer handy. All copilots should be aviation lawyers too.

Don't use them much. Seems that if and when they answer, service is OK. Sometimes they just don't answer. If you are going to fly wou need a computer.

FSS?? What's that? Oh, the guys who don't give you NOTAM's properly. Can't tell you how many times that's happened to me lately. So...now everything we use is pretty much exclusive to fltplan.com or mygdc.com (for int'l) We even have our OpSpecs authorizing fltplan's weather. As for NOTAM's...I look them all up and rely on no one but myself to review them. I guess I don't trust anyone on a phone line any longer. Too bad.

Flight Watch

Not much luck on Flight Watch frequencies either. Tried to get them to look at a Nexrad picture the other night and he couldn't get the computer to work. Second such experience in two weeks, both with KC Flight Watch. I reported it to the FAA Safety System. The AFSS system has really gone downhill IMO.

Fly safe all...

Along with holding forever and their computer always messing up, I was told (by a briefer) I might as well go to DUATS to get my info on TFR..he said their computer system doesnt show TFR so they have to go to a laptop in order to get the info.....whats the point to call at all?

Latest resources

Back