Flight School Info - Get off the fence

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heartily agree with Tarp on almost all of his comments save:
"At the FBO, you will not have consistent training or consistent equipment" .

I did my ratings via a FLYING CLUB . Not an FBO or flight school. The rental rates were excellent by comparison and the fleet was well maintained and most had many extra nice-ities in the panel. Club members use freelance CFIs. My instructor was a TWA pilot who loved to teach on the side. I think this is a far better scenario than going to some place where Joe Blow CFI who has 600 hours takes you on. Since 9/11, there are several airline pilots who have gone back to part time instructing at my homefield. They can certainly add a facet to your training that no never been there or done that airline stuff instructor could. I'd check your area out and see.

Regarding the Airline Training Academy (or the like), ATA has bridge programs with American Eagle (not hiring, 200 pilots on indefinate furlough), Atlantic Coast Airlines (limited hiring but graduates must interview like everyone else after an intership), Discover Air (so small I've never heard of 'em) and Trans States (limited hiring). The latter one might be their best chance at getting pilots hired. I suggest you ask about how many pilots are coming into their ranks via the ATA at their pilot forum:

The TSA Lounge

For $60,000 you only get the chance to interview with their affiliates? Hmmmm. Get concrete info on how many graduates and who hired them before you sign on there or anywhere. There are so many pilots with 3-4 times the total hours ATA grads get that are unemployed right now. If you were on the hiring board, who would you pick??? There is no rush to get a job as the industry is still in the toilet, so why spend $60K when you could spend half that? If you have the money and the time you could still finish all your ratings in 12-18 months. Just my two cents on that......

As for regional airline payscales, here is a message posting containing that information for several companies:

Eaglelounge.com/Message forum: "Airline Payscales"

Particularly at this time of industry depression, I can think of no credible reason to recommend a big name school over a small FBO or flight school. My training at such places was just fine.

I almost took an instructor job at Leesburg, but I'm glad I didn't. Their instructors are continuing to work at a slave wage (they're told that this is an internship in aviation....) while waiting for hiring to pick up at ACA. And, it is an expensive palce to live if you aren't on government housing assistance. Consider all of the costs, along with your possibilities.

What you need is this: a place where you can instruct after you finish your training, and not just 10 or 20 hours a week.

CHECK OUT AIRLINE TRAINING ACADEMY (WWW.FLYHERE.COM) IN ORLANDO GREAT TRAINING AND A GREAT MANAGEMENT TEAM. THEY HAVE SEVERAL TRAINING ROUTES TO CHOOSE FROM. I AM A STUDENT THERE AND I AM COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH ALL SO FAR. I CHECKED OUT ABOUT 10 SCHOOLS BEFORE MAKING MY DECISION.

How do you feel about em now? Still completely satisfied?

I am getting all my training done through American Flyers at PWK. I will say up front that it is expensive, but what school isn't. I will be paying just about 50K for my ratings up to CFI-I not including my MEI and Multi ratings. I started there full time in January and I should have my CFI done by 220 Hrs TT in early April.

I have seen many people bash American Flyers because of cost, but I ask the question why? What makes American Flyers any different than say Pan Am or FSI? You would spend the same amount of money at any of the above schools. It just so happens that I was not able to pick my family up and move to Arizona or Florida to get everything done at say FSI or Pan Am.

I will say that I have been very happy with my time at American Flyers, although I feel that I am in somewhat of a unigue environment at PWK. The management seems abit different at the other AF's I have visited.

Just some random thoughts of mine.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back