• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Options Response To The Pilots Regarding Industrywide Pay Raises

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What's sad is that FLOPS used to be such a desirable place to be. Just a few years ago pilots were clammering to get interviews - and that is no longer the case. I frequently speak with FLOPS pilots on the road. Many are looking elsewhere and all seem to be frustrated. The new contract at NJA has opened their eyes to how bad their current situation is relative to both NJA and CS. I would not be surprised if FLOPS lost a number of pilots to both NJA and CS going forward.

If FLOPS management, including Bob, expect to attract and retain the pilots their owners "expect" to fly them, then conditions will need to improve - that's the point. How can FLOPS expect to be competitive in terms of attracting experienced pilots if their conditions and morale are much worse?

FLOPS is now developing the bad reputation that NJA had prior to the new TA. And that's a shame. I've talked to FLOPS pilots recently, and they are not happy campers. FLOPS management needs to remember - this is a service business... Low morale is transparent to owners despite high levels of professionalism. What FLOPS needs is a pilot workforce proud to represent FLOPS and one that feels it's respected. Sure, NJA's new TA is not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction and I have noticed a considerable uptick in morale among NJA pilots on the road - and that translates into better service and, in the end, hopefully happier owners and higher renewal rates.

Bob and the rest at FLOPS should be feeling a lot of pressure right now to demonstrate that they respect their pilot group. It's obvious CS respects its pilots by bumping up their compensation to competitive levels (CS does not want to lose good pilots who treat their owners well). Not matching NJA or at least boosting compensation in that direction would certainly send the wrong message. It would essentially validate the idea of bringing a union on board. So Bob, if you want a union on the property and you want your best and most-experienced pilots leaving in droves, then continue to ignore the competitive marketplace and continue to disrespect your pilots. The ball is in your court...

I'm sure the management idiots at FO know a union will be voted in within months. Why would they give a payraise now when they can keep slave wages, have them locked in when the union shows up, and keep paying them for three years of contract negotiations? The payraise will come eventually, but the union will have to be there to fight for it in a contractual form. Your CEO isn't going to keep up with CS and NetJets out of the kindness of his heart.

Company Website

Just paid a visit to the official FLOPs website...

The paragraph which bills FLOPs pilots as the best paid in the industry has been removed. The remarks regarding lowest pilot turnover have also been removed. Therein lies the response from the second largest fractional provider in the business.

I believe this to be a very sad day, one that most of us probably saw coming. One that I believe will mark a turning point in this Company that will facilitate a long and protracted battle between management and what was the most pro-business, pro-company, pilot group in fractional flying.

To those that are still undecided about sending in a card, join those of us who have in an effort to merely DISCUSS OPENLY as to what our options are going forward.

Grease

Flops

Mr. Sheeringa is suppose to address the pay raises and other issues of the pilot group tomorrow. I contacted a higher up at FLOPS and pretty much voiced my concerns. The response is that FLOPS does not want to have a knee jerk reaction to the pay raises because they want to work out all of the issues and admitted mistakes of FLOPS management. So, I will be patient (very difficult for me) and give them till March to rid themselves of the cranual-rectum infusion. If not, see ya!!!

slowjet

I work at an FBO in SW Ohio. I see lots of frac pilots. The FLOPS pilots are always miserable and are quite open about how much they hate their jobs. Because of that they have many many owners that are choosing not to renew their contracts at the end of the terms.

Last night I was talking to a CS Captain, and he couldn't be happier with his job. Great pay and a great schedule. CS has come up with quite a concept: Make your pilots happy and they will keep the owners happy. That is why CS ownership is going through the roof.

Oh, and make sure you keep it a secret, but when the pilots are treated right, they become loyal to the company. God forbid that secret gets out!

Greaseman said:
Just paid a visit to the official FLOPs website...

The paragraph which bills FLOPs pilots as the best paid in the industry has been removed. The remarks regarding lowest pilot turnover have also been removed. Therein lies the response from the second largest fractional provider in the business.

quote]

Well...

It's at least not silence. They have definately made a statement.

TWA said:
Last night I was talking to a CS Captain, and he couldn't be happier with his job. Great pay and a great schedule. CS has come up with quite a concept: Make your pilots happy and they will keep the owners happy. That is why CS ownership is going through the roof.
Interesting theory, but........NO.

slowjet said:
Mr. Sheeringa is suppose to address the pay raises and other issues of the pilot group tomorrow. I contacted a higher up at FLOPS and pretty much voiced my concerns. The response is that FLOPS does not want to have a knee jerk reaction to the pay raises because they want to work out all of the issues and admitted mistakes of FLOPS management. So, I will be patient (very difficult for me) and give them till March to rid themselves of the cranual-rectum infusion. If not, see ya!!!

slowjet

I wonder how the owners would feel if they knew their pilots were not paid on par with their peers in the industry? How would they feel if they knew FLOPS now could not attract the "best or most qualified" pilots any longer due to considerable wage differences? Hmmm - perhaps they would start to question the money put into maintenance and operations?

Sure, the owners don't want to pay through the roof for this service, but they are also concerned about their own personal safety, and having the most "capable" and experienced pilots out there help to smooth over any of those concerns. I am sure they wouldn't be too happy to know that more experienced pilots are heading to NJA and CS instead... Serious pilot attrition to other fracs and airlines might be required to actually force change - similar to the NJA situation...

I've got to believe that FLOPS management sees the handwriting on the wall; they would be slitting their own throats by digging in their heels and refusing to address pay and compensation issues in the wake of what is happening in the rest of the industry. They'll inevitably lose pilots to the other fracs, and have mostly their rejects to chose from as replacements.

But again, we're talking about Flops management! ...

Latest resources

Back