Flight Level???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
Do I remember correctly that this difference is due to the centrifugal force from the rotation of Earth...or is that just a silly mnemonic that I conjured up to help me remember that it's thicker near the equator?
OK, now we have to spin off (punny, huh?) into a discussion of "centrifugal force." IS centrifugal force a real force, or just a misnomer conveniently attached to inertia acting against a centripetal force?

:)

I think you're right, MAR. Inertia, centrifugal force, whatever ya call it. :)

RightPedal said:
I was told only those with PFT type ratings could go up there. I think you can get there with some of them Burt Rutan sideburns though.

Dang thats the second funniest thing Ive read today on this post. Cheers to you.

when does the air run out? well, that really depends on how long you want to breathe. :)

mar,

i think you're right there too... i wasnt sure if it was my mnemonic either..hah.

tony,

this centrifugal/centripetal force debate should be a whole new thread.. right under the id/evo thread. perhaps god's role in centrifugal force should be introduced as well.

gkrangers said:
The highest cloud tops you are ever going to see can peak as high as 65,000 feet...but very rare, and only in supercell thunderstorms.

Not true. Near the equator, where the tropopause is higher, you'll see T-Storms above 70,000'.

Latest resources

Back