• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flight Instructor Renewal at SF Bay Area FSDOfor 121 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Also note the FAA can do this at any time. Any time I had an FAA random line check I'd ask afterwards if they minded filling out an 8710. 2 out of 3 did it.

Also note the FAA can do this at any time. Any time I had an FAA random line check I'd ask afterwards if they minded filling out an 8710. 2 out of 3 did it.

OK I Do the American Flyers but if I wanted to get it on a line check should I have the 8710 in my flt bag or, do just mail all the info to them? thanks

For Lebowski...........I think the distinction between CA or FO is that the CA is in a supervisory position, meaning he/she can teach, advise, give tecniques, and generally act as a Flight Instructor while acting as PIC and therefore be considered a Flight Instructor while performing FAR 121 duties as CA.

The downside is if you're downgraded and do not get to be PIC, you're no longer in the supervisory position, so, you're no longer considered as a Flight Instructor or supervisor, so you have to go through the CFI refresher course if not PIC.

I think that process sucks, but that is FAR's for you.

Hope it helps........Capt.

Interesting. Thanks. (And thanks to Mushroom for providing the FAR ref).

Kind of a ironic. As a regional CA, I could have renewed my CFI through the FSDO, but now as a 'bus FO, I apparently have been downgraded by the FAA. Hey, all CA's need a little "help" now and then, speaking from my experience in both seats. : )

Oh well...I'll stick to the aforementioned "renew for free" with American Flyers. Works good. Lasts a long time.

Latest resources

Back