Flight Instructor Renewal at SF Bay Area FSDOfor 121 Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rightrudder

Does anyone know of a San Francisco Bay Area FSDO that will renew a Flight Instructor Certificate for a 121 CA (non check airman)?

I'd like to avoid taking a renewal program if possible. Thanks.

Dont know about a fsdo, but american flyers offers a cfi renewal for cheap. One price and u renew every two years for life. Simple internet based questions. Ive renewed four times and its dumb easy.

They should… I did mine a few years ago in CLT and it was really easy. Just call ahead and ask to speak with one of the GA operations safety inspectors. They will let you know what to bring and make an appointment for you. I just had to bring my airline ID and an 8710 with the top filled out (you can fill the flight times out if you want a legal record of them at the FAA). I have heard in the past that some places may want a copy of your airlines logbook page with your name/Id number on it.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

8710 http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1a.pdf

Dont know about a fsdo, but american flyers offers a cfi renewal for cheap. One price and u renew every two years for life. Simple internet based questions. Ive renewed four times and its dumb easy.

I agree I think its 100 or 125 for life. I am not sure about the dumb easy, its not that easy for me. :)

American Flyers works but it makes for a long weekend. I'd much rather find a friendly FSDO. For whatever reason they favor "another" airline at my FSDO and won't allow WN guys to do it.

Gup

Does anyone know of a San Francisco Bay Area FSDO that will renew a Flight Instructor Certificate for a 121 CA (non check airman)?

I'd like to avoid taking a renewal program if possible. Thanks.

Is there some big distinction between CA and FO for CFI renewal via the FSDO?

rightrudder........If you are a captain at a FAR 121 airline, contact your CMO (Certificate Management Office) meaning if you're based in SFO, see who is in charge of the certificate management for your airline.

Let them know you are a FAR 121 Captain and make an appointement to meet the person in charge and they will renew your instructor certificate when you show your airline ID and you can show proof that you are flying as PIC. All it takes is the airman application filled out for renewal of Flight Instructor, as long as your previous certificate has not expired. You can do this 90 days prior to your CFI expiration date, but dont let it lapse.

I've done this at the PHX CMO for my airline, and it gets renewed in about 30 minutes.

Good luck........Capt.

For Lebowski...........I think the distinction between CA or FO is that the CA is in a supervisory position, meaning he/she can teach, advise, give tecniques, and generally act as a Flight Instructor while acting as PIC and therefore be considered a Flight Instructor while performing FAR 121 duties as CA.

The downside is if you're downgraded and do not get to be PIC, you're no longer in the supervisory position, so, you're no longer considered as a Flight Instructor or supervisor, so you have to go through the CFI refresher course if not PIC.

I think that process sucks, but that is FAR's for you.

Hope it helps........Capt.

Let them know you are a FAR 121 Captain and make an appointement to meet the person in charge and they will renew your instructor certificate when you show your airline ID and you can show proof that you are flying as PIC.

Like so many things FAA-related, this may depend upon which inspector you get at your CMO. The far's state:

§ 61.197 Renewal of flight instructor certificates.

(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by—
(1) Passing a practical test for—
(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or
(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or
(2) Presenting to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector—
(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt;
(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots; or
(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.
(b) The expiration month of a renewed flight instructor certificate shall be 24 calendar months from—
(1) The month the renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished; or
(2) The month of expiration of the current flight instructor certificate provided—
(i) The renewal requirements of paragraph (a) of this section are accomplished within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate, and
(ii) If the renewal is accomplished under paragraph (a)(2)(iii) of this section, the approved flight instructor refresher course must be completed within the 3 calendar months preceding the expiration month of the current flight instructor certificate.
(c) The practical test required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device if the test is accomplished pursuant to an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.
[Doc. No. 25910, 63 FR 20289, Apr. 23, 1998]

Thus if you are simply a captain and not a check airman, you must prove to the inspector (depending on which inspector you talk to on any given day...):rolleyes: that you are in the position of evaluating pilots. Maybe the chief pilot is asking for opinions of all the captains for F/O's who should upgrade, etc. I renewed my CFI this way recently (I'm a captain but not a check airman) and even though the inspector who renewed me is a friend and former co-worker of mine, he still required from me a signed list of all the F/O's I had flown with who I had "evaluated" for the potential of upgrade, and he filed that list with my 8710 form.

Go to another inspector, and you may get an entirely different story (as usual). Good luck.

Latest resources

Back