• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

flight instructor pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never let your CFI lapse. After I instructed for 18mos. I got hired to fly PT135 King Airs. I went to BE20 school with 1250TT. After I got 200hrs or so under my belt, I started instructing rich guys who were transitioning into King Air's from piston twins. Most of the other KA pilots had let their CFI expire so I became the "go to" guy even though I had the least experience. The "students" were all great pilots and easy to work with. I taught in a brand new 200 and charged $100/hr for ground and flight. I wish I still had access to that plane!

Have a good attitude and students will flock to you.

yeah in Florida go ahead and deduct $10/hr of the rates you're seeing. Up here in Jax its not as bad as down south, but still.

I make 20$ an hour now, but starting 10/1 im going to make 25. I fly about 100 hours a month (thats a good month)

Pay

Mini,
I guess I should explain. At a FBO at a small airport I get all of my instructor's fee's (35). The owner of the aircraft keeps all the plane rental and I'm an idependent contractor that he has placed on the planes insurance. When I instruct for a major university flying club I only get $23.

Yes, I have a good deal with the individual that gives me my entire rate, however, you have to market yourself and you have no school to feed you students. It is in a rural area so not many people are that interested or willing to drive the distance from the city to that airport. It is all on your own at the small GA airport. You place ads, conduct ground schools, mail flyers, and post signs, whatever it takes to get people in.

The university flying club has a steady flow of students and is closer to mi casa, so the smaller amount of money per hour is made up buy not driving as much and having motivated and educated students.

Mini. I e-mailed you when I was at Airman. Send me a PM and let me know how you are and what you know about the old school. Your information was a great help when I was there.
GA

Last edited:
first job was $14 but Im at $18 now about to get my gold seal and ask for $20. 60-100hrs a month did 8 yesterday 5 today, Im pooped!- southeast, TX

Latest resources

Back