Flight Explorer vs. Fusion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

onewithwings

We dumped Flight Explorer for Fusion a few months ago. The company didn't want to continue to pay Flight Explorer's increasing rates.

I like Fusion, don't get me wrong, but there are a few tools I really liked on Flight Explorer that I don't have on Fusion (or I haven't figured them out yet....still learning.)

One of them is being able to calculate distance from one point to another. (Used to dodge adverse weather.)

The other are the aircraft tags. On FE you could "mouser over" a flight and get the details. On fusion, you have to right click over the flight to get the detail...a little more cumbersome.

Any body else convert to Fusion? What are your likes and dislikes?

I always forget on the distance/bearing tool, is it right click then left click or left click then right click. It takes me a few clicks to remember. Not being able to scroll over the aircraft to get information is a poor design. I also dont like how you cant move the tag where you want it. Overall I'm getting used to Fusion and I like it better.

We beta tested Fusion just before it was released. It bogged our computers down so bad, we couldn't do anything else with them.

We are still with FE. I got to see a "sneak preview" of FE 10 a couple of weeks ago. If you use Sabre for flight planning, prepare to be impressed...

We just upgraded to the newest version of FE (9.1b), and it is very buggy I think. Our distance bearing tool doesn't work 90% of the time, and the new rubberband routing feature is useless and doesn't work. I do like the new ability to overlay the Pireps though.

Fusion has a distance/bearing tool. There's a button in the upper left corner (with a ruler on it) that you click once. Left click on the starting point then right click over the end point and it will give you the info. ESC to deselect it.

I used FE for many years prior and after less than 6 months of Fusion like it better, over all.

Any body else convert to Fusion? What are your likes and dislikes?

SWA switched to Fusion earlier this year. Overall, I like this product better than FE, but there is room for improvement. The biggest thing that irks me about Fusion is the lack of curvature correction in the flight path. It really does make a difference in routing suggestions when the a/c has been given a 1500nm D2 clearance and the midwest is covered with summer storms. We are being told that WSI is working on the algorithm to fix this, but have no idea when it will be rolled out into production. The only other thing that seems to be bothersome is WSI is dependent on the feed from the FAA for ASD plotting. I understand that FE computes "estimated" positions based on last data received when the FAA feed is interrupted. I just love it when your flight is plotted 200nm from its actual position because of an interrupted feed.

The only other thing that seems to be bothersome is WSI is dependent on the feed from the FAA for ASD plotting. I understand that FE computes "estimated" positions based on last data received when the FAA feed is interrupted. I just love it when your flight is plotted 200nm from its actual position because of an interrupted feed.

We have been getting pop-up messages reporting the "feed errors". Don't you just LUV all the pop-ups? (The drive me nuts...not that it's a long drive! :nuts:)

Fusion has a distance/bearing tool. There's a button in the upper left corner (with a ruler on it) that you click once. Left click on the starting point then right click over the end point and it will give you the info. ESC to deselect it.

THANK YOU! :D We had a 30 minute "down and dirty" training session so I'm still learning by braile!

We beta tested Fusion just before it was released. It bogged our computers down so bad, we couldn't do anything else with them.

I KNOW!!!!! It bogged down ours for a long time. Finally "big brother" allowed us to splurge and upgrade our caveman computers to bring them up to speed. I don't suppose Daddy Big Bucks (D.S.) allows for such things.

hell no he doesn't.

Ohh, the 24th or so we are bringing a 747 to the Museum. It will be FLYING into MMV. :eek: :eek:

Is it the 74-1 that has the record airframe time? That is funny! MMV is a GA field. Are they removing equipment to meet minimum landing weight due to runway restrictions?

When I worked there, I used to hang out with the old farts at the museum when it was in the administration buildings. Remember the tents housing the HK-1? I helped them go through some of the crates out back. HH hid some time capsules (mason jars) in the ribs of the airframe that had some pretty gnarly contents enclosed. :eek: I also got to ride in one of the B-17's around the patch on the second day of employment with "Captain Z".

Latest resources

Back