Flight Engineers...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

I know they arent used anymore because computers can do what they used to (or I assume) but what did they used to do? What planes did they used to have them on? Do any planes still made today still need a flight engineer? I was thinking about this after reading something about that gigantic airbus and can't believe it only requires two people to fly...

PhatAJ2008 said:
I know they arent used anymore because computers can do what they used to (or I assume) but what did they used to do? What planes did they used to have them on? Do any planes still made today still need a flight engineer? I was thinking about this after reading something about that gigantic airbus and can't believe it only requires two people to fly...
Gigantic Airbus and two pilots? Don't let people fool you...automation is reducing the number of pilots that airlines need to fly planes.

PhatAJ2008 said:

The 727, early 747s, DC-8, DC-10, and L-1011 are airplanes that are still flying today with engineers. The 737 and DC-9 are two of the first aircraft designed without the engineer.

The flight engineer sets-up, operates, and monitors various aircraft systems that include air conditioning, pressurization, electrical, fuel, engine, and hydraulics.

On today's modern aircraft all of the F.E.'s work has been automated.

Typhoonpilot

But wait! There's more!

typhoonpilot said:
The 727, early 747s, DC-8, DC-10, and L-1011 are airplanes that are still flying today with engineers.

You're breaking my heart.

The DC6 is still flying today. It has an engineer. But ironically it was originally designed for a two person crew.

My understanding is that ALPA, way back when they used to fight for pilots, was instrumental in the addition of an FE station (straddling the center console).

Sorry, my friend, the omission was not meant to demean the mighty DC-6 and those who fly/flew it :eek: .

You're right about ALPA. They had pilots sitting in the jumpseat of the 737 when it first came out.

TP

I think I'll get over it.

I just wanted to tease a "glass" pilot a little bit.

Cheers!
M

FE's

mar said:
You're breaking my heart.

The DC6 is still flying today. It has an engineer. But ironically it was originally designed for a two person crew.

My understanding is that ALPA, way back when they used to fight for pilots, was instrumental in the addition of an FE station (straddling the center console).

You can still operate the DC6 with only the two pilots with a FAA approved ferry permit under certain circumstances. The FE sat aft of the center console. Straddling it would really hurt! All kidding aside the FE or SO as were, operated the cowl flaps, fuel mixture, carb heat, engine blowers, power settings via manifold pressure, BMEP, and RPM to name but a few. It could be a pretty busy job at times. Engine starts were done by the FE as well.

hotwings402 said:
What do flight engineers do on jets?

They help to keep the two guys up front from killing everybody. It's the perfect place for an "unloaded" pilot to monitor the whole operation and get the "big" picture.

X

Latest resources

Back