• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

flight director

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where did you see that? The only requirement is that you have your PFD/HSI set with a CDI needle (not a Map/course track) to varify any deviation. If that's what you ment then excuse me.

I was refering to some RNAV DP's out of KLAS back a few years ago when they were named RNAV B (vs RNAV 1). I don't recall the exact terminology on the charts, but I believed that it covered manually setting CDI sensitivity to 1.0nm and using F/D or A/P.

I'll let someone with a greater command of grammer decode AC 90-100A:

(9) Pilots must use a lateral deviation indicator (or equivalent navigation map display), flight director and/or autopilot in lateral navigation mode on RNAV 1 routes.

Also depends on the airplane. Most newer aircraft, like the Challenger 300, set the TOGA pitch based (more or less) on actual aircraft weight - so it is providing useful guidance. It also adjusts the pitch based on whether or not both engines are making power.

It's another example of "every airplane is different" - fly the one you got, not the one you used to fly...

Obviously if it is giving you good information, then I see no problem with it. The thing is, most don't yet a lot of pilots use them as though they are.

Where did you see that? The only requirement is that you have your PFD/HSI set with a CDI needle (not a Map/course track) to varify any deviation. If that's what you ment then excuse me.

AIM chapter 5

6. For RNAV 1 DPs and STARs, pilots must use a CDI, flight director and/or autopilot, in lateral navigation mode. Other methods providing an equivalent level of performance may also be acceptable.

We encourage using the FD on visual straight-in if the runway is served by an ILS. It anohter opportunity to use all available information in the cockpit. Having the ILS tuned up for a visual has saved people from landing at the wrong airport.

Latest resources

Back