Flight department staffing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILOVEBEER

What would you consider "adequate" staffing for a part 91 flight department with 3 airplanes? Each airplane flies between 250-400 hours a year. There are the occasional trips to europe, but most of the flying is domestic transcons.

9 minimum, 10 - 12 would work better, especially if your flying transcontinentally. You could also form a pretty decent schedule with that staffing ratio. Now, getting the principals to sign off on that is another battle.

for past 25 yrs the depts I have been affiliated with always had ten for three acft. seems to work fairly well

Thanks for the input guys and I am familiar with the rhetoric on Flight Info, like 'don't do anything my flight department wouldn't do', so give me a real world number. We rarely use contract guys and we seem to fair pretty well on far fewer guys, however, I do feel we are understaffed. So forget the "in a perfect world" numbers and tell me what is an acceptable number. In an AVERAGE world and if the job is a really good job, what is the minimum staffing level for a 3 aircraft flight department where you would accecpt a job?

All three aircraft are the same type and there are no SIC's. All PIC's

Last edited:
4.5 pilots per aircraft if you want to average 15 flight days per month plus be able to cover vacation and training.

If all three aircaft are flying you want three per aircraft. what do you do more sit around or fly. if only one or two fly at a time then two per aircraft. here is the thing you need to cover the plane with some one on vacation and some one sick, or at school. If you can't cover the schedule with two guys out, you don't have enough.

Latest resources

Back