Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The business is called Pilot House but the website is pilotshirts.com

http://www.pilotshirts.com/

they have great quality in a variety of fabrics, shapes, and sizes. They even have a tapered style in case you're not box shaped like the Van Heusen shirts. Oh and long sleeve pilot shirts are a red flag that means you are either weird or have tattoo sleeved arms. That's just personal experience, 95% of the guys I've flown with who wear a long sleeve pilot shirt turn out to be strange ducks.

As opposed to short sleeve shirts and jackets.

Pilots, always on the cutting edge of style.

Find me one other profession on the planet where someone would dare wear a short sleeve shirt and a tie/jacket. And "zipper ties?"...wow.

:eek::)

As opposed to short sleeve shirts and jackets.

Pilots, always on the cutting edge of style.

Find me one other profession on the planet where someone would dare wear a short sleeve shirt and a tie/jacket. And "zipper ties?"...wow.

:eek::)

Do the instructors at Simuflite and FSI fall into our profession? Probably, but talk about two places that could use a breath of uniform fresh air.

I watched Apollo 13 last night for the 50th time and actually thought of this thread. The NASA controllers, circa 1970, all wore a short sleeve dress shirt, grey slacks, black shoes, and a bad tie.

Sound familiar????

Do the instructors at Simuflite and FSI fall into our profession? Probably, but talk about two places that could use a breath of uniform fresh air.

I watched Apollo 13 last night for the 50th time and actually thought of this thread. The NASA controllers, circa 1970, all wore a short sleeve dress shirt, grey slacks, black shoes, and a bad tie.

Sound familiar????

Never thought of that, but good one sydeseet!

Sound familiar????

Short sleeves on a corp pilot are gauche :)

I have found that a pair of nice Nordstrom or similar quality pants, Brooks Bros shirt and a nice tie with dress shoes and leather belt look good. We let the pilots pick their own clothes and they do a pretty dam good job at it. They look at least as good or better than the pax. Just give em the money and a little guidance. We don't like to look to similar to each other.

fido--Having done it both ways, I agree with you. But, I think satpak's train has left the station and he's just trying to get the best uniform he can.

I agree with the 'gold stripes=low-rent, Third World pilot' comment.

I've always gone with short sleeves for my uniform shirts. (Never with dress shirts. Odd...) If you leave DPA and fly to FLL your long sleeve shirt won't do you much good. I just get a sweater or leather jacket or uniform jacket/overcoat combo for the cold weather. AND, every guy I know who wears long sleeve uniform shirts has been a tool. (Wracking my brain to think of an exception to THAT rule.)

The biggest problem I've found with uniform shirts is the wings eventually trash the area over the pocket unless you have dedicated (read reinforced) holes for the wing pins to fit into. (Keep in mind, not all wings have the same distance between pins and won't fit all shirts with the pre-sewn holes.)

I love all cotton shirts for my dress shirts but I've yet to find a uniform shirt that was all or even a majority cotton that didn't shrink to midget size or wrinkled the second you take the iron off of it.

As for pants color, I'm a Navy blue kind of guy. Black falls into that Third World category--nothing personal, just what I've observed. Seems like every time you see some crew climbing out of an An-26 or a Caravan in Central America, they're wearing black uniforms with gold stripes. I'm not opposed to grey pants but you kind of look like a bus driver and you won't find a uniform coat to match.

Good luck.

TC

We wear the navy uniform but thank God no Italian Submarine Commander stripes. Regular custom fitted lansend shirts (can't beat them), I actually have one guy that will call me ahead of time to see if I am wearing long or short selves (ahhhhhhhhhhh).

The best part is their uniform, so they pay for the dry cleaning, tailoring and altering.

I have worked at places where you wear your own suits (and pay for your own dry cleaning). My favorite is the purple shirt with the silver tie, can someone other then me, please tell Nicky Newark that Tony Soprano don't fly in the back of our aircraft

Not only that, but they are made in the USA. Having people in this country with jobs cant be a bad thing.

They are no longer made in the USA, I'm afraid. I used them for a long time as well; their web site even said, "Proudly tailored in the United States of America." (Take a look.)

That statement is gone, and so is the quality. They've gone way downhill, and their shirts are now cheap imports. :(

The business is called Pilot House but the website is pilotshirts.com

http://www.pilotshirts.com/

they have great quality in a variety of fabrics, shapes, and sizes. They even have a tapered style in case you're not box shaped like the Van Heusen shirts. Oh and long sleeve pilot shirts are a red flag that means you are either weird or have tattoo sleeved arms. That's just personal experience, 95% of the guys I've flown with who wear a long sleeve pilot shirt turn out to be strange ducks.

I have had two dermatologists tell me that the group with the highest rate of pre-cancerous or cancerous spots on the arms are pilots. Think about all the UV stuff at high altitudes. It ain't safe. Long sleeves only for me...don't even own a short sleeve dress/uniform shirt.

Latest resources

Back