Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
I looked at Sporty's E6B and while it looks nice, it's quite expensive for what it is. Essentially what it does do is asks for certain conditions and it takes that info and plugs it into a formula. I have enough programming knowledge that I can code my own sort of program for my palm pilot. My problem is that I don't know of the 40 functions the E6B has. Does anyone know where I can go to get all these formulas? Things like take-off and landing distance and conversions.
Thanks.

I need something like that in easier terms. I also didn't see anything on take-off and landing distances. Thanks.

I doubt there is such a function on the E-6B that will cover takeoff and landing distances. Always willing to learn.

If you plan on taking any of the FAA written tests in the near future, you might actually want to buy the E6B, CR3, or their electronic counterparts.

I'm not sure how they would handle a palm pilot, but I know if you go in with a programmable calculator, you are required to erase the memory. It's supposed to keep someone from cheating. But then again you can go buy the exact questions and answers they will be asking. In my opinion if somebody has enough time and energy on their hands to actually program in all of the correct answers for a test, (especially the ATP), they deserve to cheat.

Just something to think about.

Mogus:

1) You should be adept at using the mechanical E6B, particularly if you want to eventually instruct students in its use.

2) The Sporty's model is handy once you become acquainted with what is required, and compared to my TI programmable, it is very cheap. I don't know of a way to use any calculator to find takeoff and landing distances. You would have to know the proprietary test data and formula used by the manufacturer to construct tables published in the POH. It's great for everything else, though.

3) The post above is correct about calculator memory. The batteries must be removed to purge vital memory before the tests are given. Sorry.

I'd have to agree with the other posters here. I have known many examiners that won't let you use anything other than the mechanical E6B. You know the example: you're in Podunk, KS and your batteries died on your electronic E6B and you have no spare batteries... etc, etc, etc...

If you want to write your own program, that's one thing. Just don't count on using it for any checkrides or written tests. Know how to use the mechanical one, its not that hard, and you may have to teach someone else how to use it one day.

if you already have a palm pilot , just do a sofware search for e6b or aviation calculator at any of the download sites on the net, IE Downloads.com, twocows.com. lotsa cheap programs (about $10.00)

If you go to PalmGear, I know they have E6B programs for the Palm. That's all fine and good for when you're on the ground, but think of what happens when you drop that tiny little stylus on the floor and can't get to it... Not to mention how hard it is to punch info into your Palm while flying. And as other posters have mentioned, many examiners will want to know that you are proficient in the use of the mecahnical E6B for times when your batteries are dead, etc.

Palm versions are great. I like this app most http://www.lwsd.com/LWFMSMain.html and I have tried almost all of them out there. This is really easy to use in the air and you don't need a stylus.

You cannot use the Palm or PocketPC while taking any written exams.

Good luck,
AZPilot

Latest resources

Back