Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

Heard on a pre-flight announcement from an American Airlines pilot:

"On our flight today, we will be flying at 34,000 feet. To give you an idea of how high that is, we would be able to fly over 50 Empire State buildings stacked one on top the other.

"Our speed will be about 500 miles per hour. That is just over the muzzle velocity of the standard military .45 pistol."

"We will be pushed along by two Pratt and Whitney JT-8D-200 turbofan engines. While thrust to horsepower varies with altitude, the total 40,000 pounds of thrust is greater than the combined power of 10 D-9 diesel locomotives."

"In other words, we're faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and as always, your Dallas based crew stands for truth, justice, and the AMERICAN way!"

Not news, but worth posting (again).

avbug said:
"In other words, we're faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and as always, your Dallas based crew stands for truth, justice, and the AMERICAN way!"
Maybe I'm getting cynical as I age, but that's the corniest thing I've heard this year...

I'm channeling Dom DeLouise

Anyone else flash on Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLouise in Cannonball Run?

Captain Chaos ring anybells?:D

Re: I'm channeling Dom DeLouise

mar said:
Anyone else flash on Burt Reynolds and Dom DeLouise in Cannonball Run?

Captain Chaos ring anybells?:D
Burt Reynolds - before flaking out! Isn't Dom DeLouise still around?! Man - that guy has a strong heart! I figured he'd have left us 10 yrs ago.

Latest resources

Back