Flight Academy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Me too.

I started to understand The Big Picture at around age 40. It's truly a shame that I didn't wise up sooner. Luckily, I had the sage advice of older aviators who had seen this done that had the t- shirt and were willing to help me avoid a mistake that that I could have easily made.

I had the money to do it, and plenty of selfish attitude to go with it. They talked me out of cutting ahead in line, and reminded me about the meaning of personal honor that I had been taught at the academy. I began to see the longer, more difficult road as a challenge to my ability and endurance, like the value of running a marathon as opposed to taking as cab to the finish line.

But you're right. Some people here just won't get it.

Dean,

I'm in the same boat as yourself, Gulfstream route or instructing,
i do know a 2 people who did go through the Gulfstream Program and both got hired, that was about over a yr now since they got hired when times where good.

i still talk to them and there still flying the 1900s as F/Os, the problem lies with the Capts up till 3months ago none of them where been hired by bigger airlines so the senior F/Os are not been upgraded to capts. which means very few if no new F/Os are been kept, they do there 250hrs in the 1900 and move on, i assuming the ones who look promising to GA are told when an F/O postion comes we will call you etc etc....

Remember even if you do not get hired after the 250hrs in the program you can always choose to the CFI route with them, i think thats possible.

I just wonder at the end of the day if a Reg airline was hiring pilots and they had 2 pilots to choose from

1 with 500TT and 250hrs with a 121airline in a 1900 passed all the check rides etc....

and another guy with 500TT with 250hrs instructing in a C-172

who would they hire...

On the last note my girlfriend works for the FAA, i have gone to some of the functions that she attends, i have talked to 1 FAA examiner about GA on how there Students do. He tells me from the Students he has they have been passing most of the check rides and over all there well prepared.

The way i look at it if i was going to do there program. I'm there to get my FAA licenses and 250TT in a Beech 1900 making somewhere between $8 to $10per hr for that time. And thats it, if i get hired after the program finishes great if i dont look for employment else where..

Its a tuff decision what ever way you look at it especially the way things are with the airlines right now

Gulfstream right now has a program with Pinnacle Airlines (NWairlink) they have been hiring a lot of GIA grads. Over 30 in the past 3months to be exact. After hired with Pinnacle you fly the CRJ. This sounds cool and all... but like I said in recent posts... I just dont know about this school. I'm looking at Comair personally but I do want to tour this place just to see the whole program and what its like in person. But really I know as much as you know... You can pick up a lot of info at there website or if you call them and ask some questions.

I just wonder at the end of the day if a Reg airline was hiring pilots and they had 2 pilots to choose from

1 with 500TT and 250hrs with a 121airline in a 1900 passed all the check rides etc....

and another guy with 500TT with 250hrs instructing in a C-172

who would they hire...

I am certain that the answer would depend on who is conducting the interview. First, why is he looking at two guys with 500TT? It would be a more realistic example to give your first candidate a couple of years of knocking on doors, trying to get hired on the basis of having purchased a job from a company that all the interviewers are familiar with.

Meanwhile, your second candidate is about to meet the 135 PIC minimums, has worked as an MEI, completed his ATP written, and met many pilots along the way who have imparted wisdom. One of them lets him know of a job which will help him to build his career.

Who would be hired?

Timebuilder

Your looking too much into the question. I am not talking about any US Reg airline. Just an xyz type question.

And as far as this in your posting

"trying to get hired on the basis of having purchased a job"

Purchased a job what you talking about , There is not wording of job in GA's program, its a First officer training Course, nothing more nothing less of which you get to fly 250hrs in a 1900 and of you go.

Futher more you still have to pass all there 121 check rides in order to fly to them, just like you and any other airline. If you dont pass you dont fly ..

Look you be surprised how many people have gone this route, every time i pass the GA HQ there seems to be endless students in the classes.

At the end of the day, i will pass at going to GA. The stuff i have from them showed there pilot program was 44,990, now its $53994. But yet there program is the same no change.

I would like to go to FS but do i want to take out a $65,000 loan for a CPL/IR/ME/CFI course.

so many paths to choose from and can only take 1 route. now wheres that magic ball...........if only ;)

And yes i do get it , thats why i've moved on from looking at the PFT, and look somewhere else.

Good for you, passing on the GA program!

Purchased a job what you talking about , There is not wording of job in GA's program, its a First officer training Course, nothing more nothing less of which you get to fly 250hrs in a 1900 and of you go.

If there are paying passengers in the back, and GA needs to have an FO as a part of their operation, then that right seat is a JOB, and at GA, someone has purchased the right to occupy that seat.

That's why we call it "paying for a job".

Good luck in your quest for excellence.

First off, I apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone on the PFT thing and I was wrong in what I was talking about. After reading a little bit about PFT I was out of line and I'm sorry. Dean I apologize to you as well because you're looking for a place to get started and get your dream of flying on the roll and I shot you down when you mentioned GA. So to all of those who I offended or upset in anyway it was not my intention and I apologize.

Thank you for the apology, but i didnt think it was that harsh (lol). That may have been the most honost reply I've seen yet. You see, My situation is very different than that of probably most people. Me and some friends and family were thinking of buying a used twin enginge, maybe turbo-prop, and if we did, we could possibly do some chartering with it on the side. That is the issue that i have for concentrating on gulfstream because of the actual airline type experience. And at the same time, yea it would not be bad to get hired down there, but if not im fortunate enough to still have a life here at home when i get back. If I decided to go that route my goal was not to cut line without paying due's, I just was impressed about the type of flying you get to do with them. So once again, Thank you for your concern. By the way, this has been a real helpful forum. Thanks to all.

Latest resources

Back