Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZaviator

El Capitan
Is it just me, or is anyone else getting tired of seeing ads in aviation magazines for flight schools, advertising job placement with their "regional partners", all of which are not hiring.

I was recently reading Flying Magazine and in it, I saw ads for all the major flight schools: Pan Am, Comair, Sierra Academy, Airline Training Academy, TAB Expess, etc, etc. Underneath most of these ads were the names and logos of their partner airlines which you could some how be placed with, after completing the program. With the exception of Comair, just about every other airline listed in these ads was not hiring, and won't be hiring for quite some time. The best one, I think, is seeing a big blown up picture of an American Eagle CRJ 700 in the ad for Sierra Academy. Nice marketing deploy!

I was just curious of the opinions of others, and what they thought about this. :cool:

I guess that since they don't gaurantee a job with anybody, they are free to advertise in this way. I believe Comair only advertises a gauranteed interview, but only if you complete ppl-MEI, and instruct with them. So Comair never gaurantees a job, just an interview, but only after you spend $60k with them.

How about truth in advertising? I'd call that a violation. For them to show Eagle's CRJ-700 is a stretch, since you've gotta have about 2 years' seniority to hold the RIGHT seat! I've been at Eagle for 4 1/2 years, and I'd be the #4 FO out of like 15 guys at DFW!

Flight school ads

Those ads are rich, aren't they? Don't forget about everyone's favorite, Gulfstream.

I wrote about TAB's ad a couple of times last spring. ATA's ad is obnoxious. At least FlightSafety's ad is restrained.

Mesa advertises "the interview." I think they may say "guaranteed." I don't know. I haven't seen a recent Mesa ad. Take it from someone who's worked there and had a student who did not get "the interview," "the interview" is not guaranteed. I will say that in this student's case, the interview was his to lose and he did.

All schools advertise their connections and ability to place people in a big-time job after graduation. Paralegal schools do the same thing. Read the fine print. They find ways to weasel out of their banner promises.

Obviously, a school should not be chosen on the basis of an ad, or on the basis of claims made by a "career counselor." It should be chosen on the basis of results. We know that. Too bad that so many people find it out the hard way.

I think ATPs has one of the best ads out there. Nowhere in their ads do they advertise getting hired by a specific airline, or any kind of guarantee of a job. Their ads basically advertise the heck out of their flight school, and the different kind of training you can receive there, along with the prices. Not many ads for flight schools will list the price of their training.

I would love to call the recruiting office for some of these flight schools and ask them exactly how many pilots Eagle or COEX have hired this year, total. I'm sure you'll get the usual run around answer of, "NONE, BUT THEY WILL BEGIN HIRING SOON, RIGHT ABOUT THE TIME YOU'D BE FINISHING OUR PROGRAM." :rolleyes:

Don't forget LOVE!

Not only getting a job, but getting married, too!! Remember the Comair Academy ad "Just Plane Love!" Where two Academy students met, fell in love, and married, got the job at Comair, then Delta, now I hear they're furloghed!! That was about the most ridiculous ad I have ever seen; we all at the Academy know who initiated it and the guy is a genuine used car salesman!

Remember the Comair Academy ad "Just Plane Love!" Where two Academy students met, fell in love, and married, got the job at Comair, then Delta, now I hear they're furloghed!! That was about the most ridiculous ad I have ever seen

You're right on about that one. I'm not sure what Comair was getting at, by posting that ad. I can't decide which ad was worse; that ad, or the current from TAB Expess talking about the "U.S. pilot shortage."

Re: Don't forget LOVE!

Hovernut said:
That was about the most ridiculous ad I have ever seen; we all at the Academy know who initiated it and the guy is a genuine used car salesman!

was it "fltpay" by any chance?:D

History

Just keep in mind that those same schools were advertising the same thing when things were good a couple years ago. If you had started shopping for schools in late '98, went to flight school in early '99 and took two years to flight train and fly 1000 hours you would have been looking for a job right at the beginning of the downturn.

On the contrary, had you started fligt training in the early '90 when the majors weren't hiring very much, squeaked a job flying freight and then finally a job with a commuter you would have been competetive for a major right when they were all expanding and hiring.

Latest resources

Back