FLICA Equipment with Verizon Service?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jet41

I'm looking for a new PDA/Phone Windows OS, Verizon service that will also work with FLICA and FLICA instant alert. What fits the bill?

I spent hours researching your exact question and the VZW Blackberry 8130 has truly been the answer.

It is small while still being typable. It's the size a phone should be, not a bloody laptop in your pocket, no holster required. Great signal reception, clear calls, an easy broswer. The trackball is handier and more intuitive than a stylus. The bigger 8830 is nice, but unless you spend most of your time outside the country AND are willing to pay through the nose for an international calling plan, it's too much phone for most people. The 8130's music player is nice, CNet says it's not bassy enough but they are wrong, deaf, or both. Takes a microSDcard up to like 8gb with the latest firmware.

Heh, I just reread your question and saw you were looking for a Windows OS. I haven't run into any limitations with the RIM OS. To the user it works pretty much like Windows, the learning curve is almost instantaneous. In fact it does things that I wish Windows XP could do, like instantly extract phone numbers from an email or text message. It's designed to bridge the gap between a phone and a computer, and does the job fantastically. Unless you have specific Windows applications you plan to run, keep your options open.

I can second the Pearl for Verizon. Its nice and small and works great with Flica. Has a good browser too.

Not to sound dumb, BUT here GOes.

what the heck is FLICA and FLICA instant alert.?

DU Duh Du

Flightline Internet Crew Access.

In short if your company can use them for employees to have the ability to drop, swap, pick up, use Paid time off, see what is in open time, vacation etc.

The reason people ask if the smart phones work with the mobile service that FLICA has for sale, is because FLICA alerts (you set the alerts you want) can get your trips that pay more, better ability to commute, or the all important Christmas, Thanksgiving, and etc, off. With the smart phone you have the ability to go on line right after the alert to improve you pay or quality of life.

It is truly a wonderful item if your company has it. Due to FLICA I have gotten Thanksgiving and Christmas off and I am not very senior on my equipment.

Hope this answers your question, also the I phone works AWESOME for flica, had the TREO 680 and glad it is gone.

:beer:

Last edited:
Absolutely, I understand now.
But Where I work I think they have scheduling done on a chalk board out side in the rain behind the house trailer they call headquarters. By a blind mute who get aid from the state for being employed by a large airline.

or they might just not want to upgrade thier system to a use friendly one.

Another vote for the Blackberry 8130 here. Works great with Flica. Also, you can export your schedule to Outlook and then sync it to your Blackberry so your schedule is on your phone. A bonus is when you scroll over the hotel phone number you can push the trackball and it will call the number.

Latest resources

Back