Flexjet vs Netjets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Upgrade at EJA

I haven't met any SIC's at EJA that have deferred upgrade at EJA simply because they were on Probation.
Besides, if you screw up the checkride you get more training.
The ones I've met simply aren't comfortable with the responsibility of PIC at EJA. Paperwork and Company Ops hopefully, are reviewed during IOE.
The junior FO's that I've met out on the road are upgrading because of the upcoming contract. They know that if they wait to see what the contract brings, (Majority of Pilots at EJA are expecting a HUGE pay increase) they will see upgrades slow as senior SIC's fill all of the bids.
Basically don't upgrade unless you know you can handle the job. Just my two cents worth, just my opinion.

Agree with the general consensus both on this board and at NJA that the PIC ride at NJA can be a probation buster.

I personally witnessed a PIC candidate on a checkride bust and then get the AX. Sure, he was a dud, but what about those who get nervous, and checkrides are sometimes sketchy, but otherwise are fantastic pilots?

What kind of self-induced pressure will a probationary PIC be under at NJA? Depends on the character and resolve of the individual mostly. It also depends on how badly NJA wants the trip done. Can you say NO to a trip while on a 5-way conference call with the company and 5 pax and an overeager-to-go F/O are looking at you?

Small things to consider, but they all add up.

Personally, I waited until my year was up for the following reasons:

1. No previous Jet time

2. Only flew 10-20 hrs per month as SIC, so not real current

3. Wanted to learn the paperwork and management side of the job better than IOE was then teaching.

4. Felt a need to see an entire year of ops with the company. De-Icing in the winter, climb gradients in the summer, etc..

5. Needed to know I was protected by the contract in case I was pressured in any way and said "NO"

6. Self-prescribed threshhold of 500 hours in the a/c prior to upgrading.

7. Wanted to see how different PIC's handled common pax issues and difficulties.

8. An unintended benefit occurred as well. As a senior F/O the opportunity to fly with junior captains was the most valuable experience I've had at NJA. I saw some problem areas ahead of time and was able to learn from their mistakes so I was free to invent new ones for myself.

Many F/O's I fly with are senior enough to bid and get PIC slots in several aircraft types, but they are waiting. If the company forces a pilot to upgrade, and this has been happening here at NJA, then that pilot's 2-year seatlock is removed. So, if a guy is in say the Ultra for 8 months, and is then forced to upgrade in type, he is no longer locked in the Ultra. Several guys have used this to bid to the Excel.

Good luck,

Toploader

On the other side of the coin:
I too have personally witnessed, met and flown with people who busted their checkrides while they were on probation.
They were given additional training took the PIC checkride again and passed.
Again, pilots should only upgrade when they feel comfortable.
If the upgrade is a dud they will soon know in PIC training.
In my opinion, Netjets' training program is designed to produce Captains not bust people out of their jobs.
Also the pilot upgrading already has a type rating in the aircraft, if they got past the Part 135 SIC checkride the Capt. upgrade is just a review.
P.S. did it really matter if the person was a dud when they upgraded or when they waited till they were off probation?

Toploader,

A very good post. I agree with all of your points. I sincerely respect your "500 in type" self-imposed rule. You are a true professional and asset to our company!!

gump
Netjets - Ultra

Thanks everyone... very helpful. I'll give ya'll a free supersize when you come by MickeyD's...

Latest resources

Back