Flexjet Union Drive

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Posted by Warlord19
"PS. I guess the pilot group will be “taking it up the wazoo” tomorrow when the bonus checks hit their bank accounts, but that must be some kind of union logic I don’t understand."[/quote]

Yippee, i get 750 bucks after taxes, and i'm on 3rd yr pay. All that hard work flying smartly saving gas. Here's the problem. The bonus is considered total compensation. It is one of the things included that supposedly makes us competitive with our peers. In MHO, if the company valued how hard we work to save them money, the bonus would reflect that. End of rant.

The union is coming....All we have to decide is which union orgainization to go with. We definetly don't have to go with the IBT1108. This bill, from what I understand, will allow us for an internal, Southwest Airlines type of union. Read about it boys and girls, because this bill will pass and we will vote in a union. My vote is for an internal one personally, but I can see the advantages of going with an IBT initially so that we can learn.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1409

All sounds good, BUT, if you go with a in-house deal, you have to start with a lot of money, A lot of money.
It becomes a "who has more money fight". The company will fight this till they have no more money (FLOPS, hired Ford and Harrison, how much do you think they are worth)
Remember a union is a business, nothing more, if you start with nothing your gonna end up bankrupt. You need every dime of dues, how many at FLEX are anti union? All said and done that pilot has to write that check, put in envelope and stamp it. How will you make them do that. There lies your problem. (same problem over here at FLOPS), but at least there is a bank account. (Thanks NJ's)
Good Luck, its been a long road at FLOPS, and its still not over. Your fun is just about to begin.

Last edited:
The company won't have much of a fight...

The gest of the bill is that once a union is voted in, the standard 50% plus 1, both sides have exactly 90 days to come up with a contract. If after 90 days they do not have an agreement, the governement sends in an arbitrator and a contract will be in place 45 days after that. No more of this 3 plus years bull crap. This first contract will be for 2 years. That is why the money side of it is not as big of an issue, with the exception of an attorney to help with the legal ease of the first contract.

From what I understand, it has congressional support of more than 80 % which means it should pass.

Sorry J3, but that is more than our 85 will be seeing here in the next month. Be thankful what you do have.

Yippee, i get 750 bucks after taxes, and i'm on 3rd yr pay. All that hard work flying smartly saving gas. Here's the problem. The bonus is considered total compensation. It is one of the things included that supposedly makes us competitive with our peers. In MHO, if the company valued how hard we work to save them money, the bonus would reflect that. End of rant.

The gest of the bill is that once a union is voted in, the standard 50% plus 1, both sides have exactly 90 days to come up with a contract. If after 90 days they do not have an agreement, the governement sends in an arbitrator and a contract will be in place 45 days after that. No more of this 3 plus years bull crap. This first contract will be for 2 years. That is why the money side of it is not as big of an issue, with the exception of an attorney to help with the legal ease of the first contract.

From what I understand, it has congressional support of more than 80 % which means it should pass.

WOW that is nice

The gest of the bill is that once a union is voted in, the standard 50% plus 1, both sides have exactly 90 days to come up with a contract. If after 90 days they do not have an agreement, the governement sends in an arbitrator and a contract will be in place 45 days after that. No more of this 3 plus years bull crap.
I'll bet the company would love an arbitrator during these economic times. They are slashing and burning jobs on the inside as no new owners sho up and many are leaving for good-they can't wait to show how poor they are.

I think you will be very disappointed. YOU will be negotiating under a Transportation Act if I remember correctly it is the National Transportation and Railway Labor Act. Not this new Labor bill designed for food and service workers.

I just re-read the bill, and no where does it state that it is designed for food and service workers. In fact, it clearly states that it is for "any individual or group of workers wishing to organizie."

As far as the we are poor issue, while I agree with you in the fact that we are losing owners like all of the fractionals, most of us are not bitter with the company as a whole. Just like Netjets in their contract battle of a couple of years ago, Flexjet funds things for Bombardier that would raise our bottom line significantly. Plus, you can't tell me we would not get better pricing on training and so forth. But, the only way we will get more bases, true protection and better QOL issues will require us to do this. That is all that I am saying. We have all seen how the new management thinks and it is not very pilot friendly.

I think you will be very disappointed. YOU will be negotiating under a Transportation Act if I remember correctly it is the National Transportation and Railway Labor Act. Not this new Labor bill designed for food and service workers.

Just like Netjets in their contract battle of a couple of years ago, Flexjet funds things for Bombardier that would raise our bottom line significantly
Huh? The glory days were years ago when bonuses flowed freely and thousands didn't mind throwing down hundreds of thousands just to "join the club" and tell their friends that their provider proudly (and expensively) paid for horse races, orange bowls, and super bowls.
How exactly does flex fund things for bombardier?

This bill does not apply to RLA companies.

Union busting firms are advising managements to seek RLA coverage when possible....

The union is coming....All we have to decide is which union orgainization to go with. ...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-1409
H. R. 1409​

To amend the National Labor Relations Act [NRLA] to establish an efficient system to enable employees to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to provide for mandatory injunctions for unfair labor practices during organizing efforts, and for other purposes.

The bill only applies to NLRA covered labor ... NOT RLA Labor. The Railway Labor Act = (RLA)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back