• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fleet washers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Curious who washes the aircraft at your flight school (company? Local hangar rats? etc.). Is there a demand for a company to come in and clean your fleet every so often? What is a good rate to charge?

We have ramp attendants at our school that wash them. I think it's cheaper for most places to keep it in-house plus there may be liability (insurance) issues with having a third party come in and touch the planes.

The smaller schools/clubs that don't give a darn either have them hosed down a little after 100hrs or have a kid out there doing it for free.(or trading plane washes for flying time)

g

Last edited:
Our school does it in house also. We have a couple of local college kids who wash our planes as well as our customers. They aren't on the payroll strictly for washing airplanes, but that's the only time I ever see them.

haha, we've got about a one centimeter thick layer of bug guts on the leading edge of all our aircrafts' wings.

52560 said:
Curious who washes the aircraft at your flight school (company? Local hangar rats? etc.). Is there a demand for a company to come in and clean your fleet every so often? What is a good rate to charge?

i wash planes for my flight school. but there are a few companies that do offer aviation cleaning services

At our place, each instructor is the crew chief on one or two aircraft. It's their responsibility to keep the airplane clean, keep a few qts of oil in the back, keep the windshields clean, etc. They also keep track of Mx due times and squawks to back up the Mx software.

There is a company in my neck of the woods that specializes in brightwork. They have many of the bizjets in the area on a regular schedule. Not the funnest job in the world, but you get to see some neat planes. Plus, when you're done, the jet is freaking beautiful. A sense of pride I'm sure.

My flight school only washes the plane during the summer after you could swear the bug guts have caused a 10 knot decrease in speed. For side money I clean/wash/wax corporate jets at mdw for ~18k a year. You can charge more and corporate will pay it. Flight schools barely pay the bills as it is, they can't spare the extra change.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back