Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Nikoz,

Any colored/filtered light will affect your color vision and the ability to see and interpret charts. Red, blue, whatever.

Personally, I carry a little energizer 3-LED headlamp (got them all over, in flight bags, in tool boxes, in the suitcase for the hotel, where ever). They last forever on a set of batteries, I have two white LED's to clearly see what I need to see, and I can turn those off and operate with just the single red LED. Put it on the forehead or hang it around the neck for viewing charts and adding additional lighting that many aircraft just don't account for...they're great. Twelve bucks.

I have a little blue LED Streamlight stylus pencil light that's bright enough to blind a wombat at night, which allows me to see other things that are hidden by the red. It makes antifreeze and turbine oil almost glow, sort of like a black light. Also handy for certain things, but also hides certain things.

Give your charts and equipment a good review in white light before you undertake the flight, and then you already know what may be hidden or missing under filtered light. You always have the option of muting your white light and using that to review your charts and equipment...you can retain your night vision, just don't make the white light too bright. If your eyes are already adjusted using the colored light, you don't need much white light at all to illuminate your gear. Tape over a flashlight or pen light, put a pin prick through the tape,and there's your light source, without blinding you.
where ya get them?

I just wanted to say sumpin.... I did, so there!

Latest resources

Back