Flashlights... Red, Green or Blue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nikoz1200

I have been reading on some sites this morning that red lights aren't considerend to be best for preserving night vision anymore. Aparently, blue is the new red. Then, a few pages later, a counterpoint says red is still the best for preserving night vision, but blue is better for reading charts.

What do you all use (besides the built in cabin lights?) ...red, blue, green, fucia?

Green

Green is the best wavelength for preserving night vision. Red was used in days of yor to reduce the enemies ability to see you.

Bright white

j/k, green as well.

Nikoz,

Any colored/filtered light will affect your color vision and the ability to see and interpret charts. Red, blue, whatever.

Personally, I carry a little energizer 3-LED headlamp (got them all over, in flight bags, in tool boxes, in the suitcase for the hotel, where ever). They last forever on a set of batteries, I have two white LED's to clearly see what I need to see, and I can turn those off and operate with just the single red LED. Put it on the forehead or hang it around the neck for viewing charts and adding additional lighting that many aircraft just don't account for...they're great. Twelve bucks.

I have a little blue LED Streamlight stylus pencil light that's bright enough to blind a wombat at night, which allows me to see other things that are hidden by the red. It makes antifreeze and turbine oil almost glow, sort of like a black light. Also handy for certain things, but also hides certain things.

Give your charts and equipment a good review in white light before you undertake the flight, and then you already know what may be hidden or missing under filtered light. You always have the option of muting your white light and using that to review your charts and equipment...you can retain your night vision, just don't make the white light too bright. If your eyes are already adjusted using the colored light, you don't need much white light at all to illuminate your gear. Tape over a flashlight or pen light, put a pin prick through the tape,and there's your light source, without blinding you.

avbug said:
I have a little blue LED Streamlight stylus pencil light that's bright enough to blind a wombat at night, which allows me to see other things that are hidden by the red. It makes antifreeze and turbine oil almost glow, sort of like a black light. Also handy for certain things, but also hides certain things.

I used to carry a blue LED for preflight, but use white now. Here's the reason- red hydraulic fluid is invisible under blue light. White LED lights are multispectral, but seem to still have an output strong toward the UV end, so they will still make UV-reactant fluids like antifreeze stand out.

Using an incandescent white light for preflight is also fine. Airport ramps are definitely not night-vision friendly, and it's not worth it using a dim light to preflight with. Seeing to preflight is important, since you won't start to acquire your night vision until you are out by the runway anyway.

I see turbine oil and H5606 very well with that streamlight stylus...which is why I use it in the cockpit and also in the toolbox.

Weather the color shows up or not, I can still see fluid seepage and leaks.

Your night vision doesn't come together at the runway, but a half hour after you leave the white light behind.

A lot of maps do not have red in them so they can be read with a red lens (at least mil maps).

However I will second the headlamp. It is the best thing out there. No fumbling around with a flashlight. You can get them with various different color LED.

Get a light with different color lenses, go in the dark with your sectionals and plates, and see which works best for you.

Don't forget the portable disco ball. It let's me see my funky groove, even in the darkest of dark places. Plus, it's outta sight!

Latest resources

Back