• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flashlight suggestion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you airlines require a 2C or 2D flashlight? That seems dumb today when you can get an LED with AA that is brighter than the old mag lights.

Streamlite.com there are several there that are as bright as 40,000 candle power and they are rechargeable.

The basic weakness of ALL flashlights is... the battery is certainly going to be low or dead the only time you need it.
Someone gave me a flashlight, 6" long/1.5"wide with its own internal electrical generator. Now it is not a NighttimeSun-lamp but you do not need or even want a lot of light in an emergency night time cockpit situation. Anyway, you give it a couple of shakes and it powers up a capacitor and bleeds the electricity into the bulb. Certainly there are components that can fail in this thing, but it is going to have a lot better chance of helping you than something with batteries.

Something to think about on the "no batteries needed" flashlights is that some (if not all) do use batteries. When you generate power (shake, crank, whatever) you are transfering electricity to the batteries (charging if you will) which in turn power the bulb for a while. If there were no storage for the power, once you stopped cranking the flashlight, the light would go out. BTW, these batteries eventually need to be replaced as they wear out just like any other battery.

GravityHater said:
The basic weakness of ALL flashlights is... the battery is certainly going to be low or dead the only time you need it.
Someone gave me a flashlight, 6" long/1.5"wide with its own internal electrical generator. Now it is not a NighttimeSun-lamp but you do not need or even want a lot of light in an emergency night time cockpit situation. Anyway, you give it a couple of shakes and it powers up a capacitor and bleeds the electricity into the bulb. Certainly there are components that can fail in this thing, but it is going to have a lot better chance of helping you than something with batteries.

One night Viper548 and I went for a flight with one of those self charging/rare earth magnet/super cap flashlights. We soon came to the conclusion that that thing had no place being in the cockpit of an airplane. We noticed that we were having some funky heading issues and we soon learned that we could hold a course on the GPS and totally jack up the whiskey compass by passing that flashlight around the cabin, even around the rear seats in a four place twin. Leave those things in the trunk of your car.

FlySacto

Benhuntn said:
Streamlite.com there are several there that are as bright as 40,000 candle power and they are rechargeable.

Get yourself a Streamlight Strion. 12,000 CP, bright white light, and rechargeable. Also, you can keep it out of the cradle for months and it'll still work fine.

HoursHore said:

Instead of using WalMart and all the socio politcal baggage that comes with is...check out these great Costco deals...

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?Ne=4000000&N=4000389&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1612&whse=BC&topnav=

HoursHore said:

I use this same light. About $17 from either walmart or target. It's brighter than a 3-D cell maglight, and fits easily in your overcoat pocket or flightbag. I've dropped it, ran over it with a tug by accident, and used it in extreme weather conditions (as cold as -40C).

The only downside is that it uses lithium camera batteries that are expensive to replace, but they last a long time...

Handsdown, the INOVA T2 flashlight. About the size of a mini maglite. It is like having a light sabre. I don't even bother with the deice light as the flash light is much better. Comes with a red lens that flips up/down. However, it is expensive and takes some weird size battery. This is the one you might have seen that they were giving away if you purchased a Bose headset.

I got the inova T2 for free when i bought my bose. I originally thought becuase of the small size, there was no way that this thing could do anything. I was DEAD WRONG! This thing is awesome. It shoots like a batlight in the dark. I can read charts at night without loosing my night vision too. It also came with like a red flip on/off cover so that if i wanted to further maintain my night vision, i cuold use it. It's awesome! Good price too. Awesome battery life. I think it's a 5 hour regulated battery life.

Latest resources

Back