Flashlight suggestion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lear Wanna Be said:
Handsdown, the INOVA T2 flashlight. About the size of a mini maglite. It is like having a light sabre. I don't even bother with the deice light as the flash light is much better. Comes with a red lens that flips up/down. However, it is expensive and takes some weird size battery. This is the one you might have seen that they were giving away if you purchased a Bose headset.

Wierd size battery? It's only a CR123 size battery. All of your more higher end lights are going to use those since that battery packs a big punch in a small package. You can get them online for like $1 each which comes out cheaper than certain alkalines. Plus they've got a 10 year shelf life. You really can't go wrong. Go online to places like batterystation.com or surefire.com or anywhere else like that and get like $10 worth. It will last you a while and they'll never go bad.

Flashlight idea

squall line said:
Any others out there that you might suggest?SL

I carry one that doubles as a defensive weapon in the event things go bad when I'm in the back.

The plastic-case units don't have enough mass to be effective in striking someone and rendering them dead or unconcious. IMO, the 3 cell Maglite works very well. It can be safely modified with a strap so that if used as a weapon it will remain secured to the user. It also has a bright halogen bulb for when being used as a light.

I stick with the heavier disposable batteries as the lighter rechargable units reduce the overall mass of the flashlight, but that's just personal preference. In the event I use it to strike someone I like it to be slightly heavier.

Times have changed. Think dual-use.

I have a big maglite too. Keep it in the back pocket of the seat. That way I comply with the reg to have a "D" cell battery or equivelant light (or whatever it is). The best use I find for the maglite is knocking of the ice when I land. I am sure it would do just as well knocking someone out. For light, I use INOVA T2 as stated above.

Don't go too expensive. Remember, the probability of losing the flashlight increase in direct proportion to its expense.

ultrarunner said:
I carry one that doubles as a defensive weapon in the event things go bad when I'm in the back.

The plastic-case units don't have enough mass to be effective in striking someone and rendering them dead or unconcious. IMO, the 3 cell Maglite works very well. It can be safely modified with a strap so that if used as a weapon it will remain secured to the user. It also has a bright halogen bulb for when being used as a light.

I stick with the heavier disposable batteries as the lighter rechargable units reduce the overall mass of the flashlight, but that's just personal preference. In the event I use it to strike someone I like it to be slightly heavier.

Times have changed. Think dual-use.

Just whatever you do with that, be very careful. You dont want to get sued.

I picked up a Streamlight Scorpion at Bass Pro for about 30 bucks. It is super compact & light, takes up next to no space in the flight bag, and very bright. It was also too good to be true because the company's FOM states we must have a C or D cell flashlight...so I picked up a 2-C Maglight for its (relative) lightness & compact size and the Scorpion has been relegated to car/defense duty.

semperfido said:
best flashlights in the world

http://www.streamlight.com/

I have one of their stingers. Great flashlight, basically indestructable, very bright. Little on the pricy side though. Just do us mechs a favor and don't use it on your walkaround, you might see something ;)

Oh yeah, put it on the charger once in a while.

Any thoughts about the Aviator from Surefire?

Yeh, it's the best flashlight known to man kind..

It's so bright, it like has a sound that you can hear when you turn it on.. Sorta like Luke or Yoda's sabers..

Latest resources

Back